Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

MY LOVE FOR WRITING


I often can't figure out why journaling, writing is so important to me.
Rarely will you see me without a journal making a trip with me.
Everywhere I go I have a journal.
It gets packed before my underwear.
I have writings from when I was very young
and I have writings from the middle school years.
I have high school writings and writing from the times
when my daddy was dying.
Both of my babies have been given journals that
were started on the day I found out I was pregnant.
I even started a journal for my unborn grandbaby who now
forever lives in heaven.
When I started blogging I realized that now my writings
could be shared with others and that is
a whole different thing.
I had to realize that once I went this route I could be
critiqued by others who may not like what I say.
I wondered, "why is this something that I do?"
It is as important to me as brushing my teeth.
This is not something that all do so I know that it is something
that is in my makeup.
I wonder if it comes from the fact that I always knew any days
I had were blessings and that I wanted to leave something
behind for others when I am gone.
I rarely go back and read what I write in my journals.
I had this idea lately that maybe I need to do that.
I am sure there are many blog ideas in things I have written
over 20 years ago.
Yet, when writing blogs I struggle with the fact that I have
to watch how I word things as to not offend others.
I want to let all know this is not a choice I have.
It is a part of who I am, unable not to do it.
As I was reading this summer I came across wording that
explained for me why I write:
HERO MAMA BY KAREN SPEARS ZACHARIAS
"...No one could make me more aware of the responsibility
I had as a daughter and a writer to get our family's story straight.
For me, writing is like being a mother,
hoping to bring life to a child. I hold in my hands
this miracle of beauty, awe, and wonder.
Along with it is a burdensome responsibility.
It's a terrifying role, one I approach completely aware
that it's going to take a power beyond me-a power
I don't control and can't manufacture by sheer will.
All life is a precious gift, even the life of words."
This statement said clearly for me all I feel about the
responsibility of writing for others to read.
It is not just a matter of "let me tell you what I did today"
It is a job that I enjoy but one that
is important to do in a way that will not hurt or embarrass
those I love.
Happy Wednesday!

3 comments:

  1. *yawn* ... you're not offending anyone? Great... yahoo .... whoopee....

    ReplyDelete
  2. well bfob, you could have commented on how cute I am in this picture, but no you want me to do some fight blogging, sometimes I do believe that you must have some type of blood relation to HOBL. If I write something inspirational about someone HOBL will not make a comment but let me put something the slightest bit looking like gossip and he is all over that, wants to talk about it all day. UGH you men!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lilly,
    I totally understand your need to write, journal, report, etc. You have a gift for writing in which many of us wish we had. It is unique. It is witty. It is inspirational to all of us who follow your words. Keep them coming. Your words mean so much to so many. Love you!

    Beck

    ReplyDelete