Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

God Bless BP

I have held my tongue a long time in reference to
how I feel about BP and the oil spill yet a simple
conversation with my dentist has made it time to
say what I am thinking.
Controversy will follow this post but I will write it anyway
because I too have an opinion even if it is completely
opposite of how most people feel.
No one loves our bayou and the way of life
that surrounds the mighty waterways more than me.
I am worried about the livelihoods of those
who are affected by the spill but I also feel a need
to defend BP and not only because HOBL works for them.
As you pass in many places you can read the signs putting
down the company that is the main cause of the spill.
"BP mother nature called she said to clean your room"
"Bp you took our legs how are we supposed to stand?"
I can deal with this but on my way to Schriever
I see a small sign in a brave homeowners yard that says,
"God Bless BP"
So simple yet so strong.
I tell my dentist this story and although he agrees with
me that BP is doing the best they can and that they
didn't wake up that morning and say
"Today I think I will blow up and oil rig and kill 11 people"
He didn't think it would be wise to put a sign like this in my yard.
HOBL feels the same way.
As much as we support BP we can't put a sign like that in our yard
out of fear of vandalism.
Well that makes me mad.
So here I will speak how I feel.
All, and I mean all, oil companies do things that may not be the safest
without breaking the law.
Do not believe that those other big companies don't breathe a sigh of
relief when knowing that it was BP and not their company
responsible for the mess in the gulf because they know
it could have been them.
Do not believe that those people at BP have not lost many nights
of sleep knowing that because of their company they
have changed the lives of so many.
I feel, however, they are doing and awesome job in
the way they are trying to make this right.
All you hear about are the people who are angry with BP
because they are not doing enough for the loss of their
businesses. You are not hearing from the ones who are pleased
with BP, why?
Because they are reputable companies, are trawlers who instead
of crying their sad stories they are out working for BP to help
fix the problem. They are earning a paycheck sometimes bigger
than the ones they brought in during trawling season.
It is a fixed income that many trawlers never had
when skimming the gulf.
Who are we hearing from?
Well those who have used our waterways for drug trafficking and hid
behind their trawl boats to do their business.
You cannot be paid by BP for the money you made illegally.
Because some of these people can't pass a drug test,
they can't work for BP in the cleaning so they whine to the media.
We hear from the ones who call themselves trawlers
but they awakened at 10:30am on a good morning to go trawling,
if the weather was good, if they felt like it,
sold their shrimp either from their boats or
to their neighbors down the street for cash and have
not paid taxes for some time.
You cannot get paid by BP if you collected cash and have no
tax reforms to prove what you made last year.
BP is paying the hard working trawlers
more than some ever made and they are paying now.
They are not giving hand-outs which is what some of
the cajuns want, hand-outs.
I have spoken to many people who are very pleased with
how BP is handling the loss of their businesses.
Why are they pleased? Because they were
honest and reputable businesses prior to the spill.
It is a mess, yes the animals, the pelicans covered in oil
are not a pretty sight.
Yes, oil and water will never mix and the oil has to go somewhere.
Many businesses have lost but also because of this
many are getting jobs and working when just before the spill
they were unemployed.
People who owned rentals that could not get renters
are now being paid by BP to house all these workers.
Golden Meadow has never been this busy in a long time.
BP is not responsible for the moratorium.
Because of this disaster stricter rules will be placed so
as not to have this happen again.
Just as the natural way of disasters,
change comes after the hit.
Before we all sit in the comfort of our air conditioned homes
and get into our gas guzzling cars to buy our groceries
at Walmart we need to realize that without companies
like BP our comfortable lives as we know it
would not exist.
BP is not perfect, none of us are.
I wish I had the courage to put a small yet big-impacted sign
in my yard that says
GOD BLESS BP
Because all of us praying US citizens would make
more of an impact if we prayed and helped
rather than sit in our homes and say
how terrible BP is.
Just my words, my thoughts and because
I live in the mighty bayous of the USA I can speak
these words:
GOD BLESS BP

2 comments:

  1. What you failed to mention is one simple fact. BP HAS THE DEEPEST POCKETS. Transocean? Small Fish. BP BIG FISH. Litigators will want to put blame on the BIG FISH with the most $$$$. That's what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, they are not responsible for the moratorium but we know who is. LIFT THE MORATORIUM!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete