Pages

Friday, July 23, 2010

Loung Ung book

Sometimes I am naive to the happenings of worldly things.
I am aware of things that happened during WWII
and Vietnam because my family was affected by these
world tragedies. When it comes to some things in
other parts of the world that happened in my lifetime,
I really am uneducated.
Hence, the reason for this blog.
Upon one of my scouts to the library this summer
I come across this book:
FIRST THEY KILLED MY FATHER
LOUNG UNG
I was intrigued by the title and the synopsis so I brought it
home for a visit.
While reading it I was disheartened to think that this
happened in the 70's which means I was old enough
to realize this was happening yet I had no clue, no idea
that these things were going on in other parts of the world.
Loung Ung was a 5 year old girl during the Cambodian crises.
She was born into a large family in Phnom Penh,
her father, being a government official, called for a rich lifestyle.
Yet, in April of 1975 all this changed when the armies stormed
her home city and they became not only peasants but
tortured and imprisoned for many years.
There were times that I actually had to put the book aside
because it became too intense for me to believe that things
like this still happens.
The author writes in such great detail that you can almost
feel and smell the happenings in her life.
Her words on how hunger felt as a young girl
wants me to go out and feed someone.
She writes with such intensity as she explains how
she lost her immediate family and how much they suffered.
This book has changed how I feel inside about the corruption
of other countries and once again makes me
proud to be part of the USA.
Not for the weak-hearted but highly recommended read
for those who, like me, believe sometimes that all the world
lives as privileged as we do.

2 comments:

  1. Lil... that's what communists (left wing) does... they re-distribute wealth by destroying indiviual liberties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but I don't want it to be like that, it hurts me to believe that any children in the world suffer and it shocks me that it still goes on today.

    ReplyDelete