Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Anniversary date

Today is 4 years since our Robert Acosta died
of spinal meningitis.
For my followers who do not know,
Rob was one of Roddie's childhood friends,
the son of Marty and Jeri Acosta.
The kind of friend who basically lived at your home
or Rod living at his.
The kind of friend that you jokingly told you
would deduct him on your income tax.
It has been a loss not to have Rob with us.
Yet I must comment on the fact that
because of Robert's death,
this year as a school nurse, we were mandated
to make sure all 11 year old students had been
immunized with a meningitis vaccine.
This was largely due to the hard work of
Marty and especially Jeri who went out there
after their only child's death to change the law
and make this vaccine mandatory instead of a choice.
It was just not enough for them to loose their child
to this dreaded disease without making his death
a cause. If you knew Robert, we was always looking
for a cause. His parents made his life, his death their cause.
Usually around the time of Robert's birthday and
the anniversary of his death I dream of him.
In my dreams he usually gives me some clue as to something
he wants me to do for his parents.
This is the first time I do not dream of him.
I choose to believe that is because he is on to
bigger and better things.
It's because his parents have done all the hard work
in his honor and now he says,
"Your work is done. Rest, enjoy your life and
I will see you when your return here,
to the place some call heaven and that I now call home."

2 comments:

  1. BY THE WAY, WHERE IS MARTY AND JERI? I KNOW THEY SOLD THEIR HOUSE AND I TALKED TO MARTY AT ROUSSE'S NOT TO LONG AGO BUT I DIDN'T ASK HIM WHERE THEY WERE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They moved to Lockport address which I believe is just across intracoastal.

    ReplyDelete