Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A MOTHER, A SON, AND IRELAND

Bonds between Mothers and Sons
almost impossible to break.
One of my first days at TES
I was called to the library to speak on the phone
with the library para.
I knew no one yet but they gave me a little history...
Mrs. Gail was on her way to New York,
and emergency trip to be with her son
who had been battling cancer and had taken a turn
for the worse. She was distraught over the
fact that he was on a morphine drip and
whether or not this was the end of his journey.
I tried to comfort a Mother whom I didn't know
and through her tears she thanked me.
Through the last 5 years I have gotten close to
many of my coworkers one being Mrs. Gail.
Through these years we often spoke of
her son Jonathan and his battles. It was always
known to everyone in the school that if Jonathan called,
if he needed his Momma, Mrs. G was gone and didn't
know when she would be back.
His battle was long and hard yet he never really complained.
He was loved and cared for by his Mother
and they spoke of many things, one being
that they would love to travel to Ireland.
Jonathan lost his battle to cancer and Mrs. Gail
has shown us all how to let go a son, a child,
and continue to live. How to be unselfish
when all you want to do is beg him
to keep fighting.
Holidays are hard for Mrs. Gail as I am sure they
are all for those of us who have lost loved ones.
Yet yesterday she tells me the most awesome story
of Christmas and I ask for permission to tell it in my blog.
During the Christmas holidays her daughter tells her a present
had arrived from New York but she couldn't open it
until Christmas. She thought of what could be in
that package. Jonathan had many wonderful friends
in New York, many who loved Mrs. G as their own mother.
She had come to the conclusion
that his friends had put together a photo
album of him to give to her at Christmas.
She waited for Christmas morning to see his
smiling face looking back at her through photos.
Christmas came and her daughter told her that
before she could open the gift she had to read
the letter that came with the present.
There in her baby boy's own handwriting
was a letter to his Mother, a love letter of sorts,
Written by him before he died.
This would have been enough, how awesome was that?
What was in the package?
A trip to Ireland all expenses paid for
her and one other person for 8 days!
Although he knew he would never make the trip
he knew of her longing for this and planned it all out
before his death.
It is the gift she received this Christmas morning.
Yes I was tearful but overjoyed!
What a great Christmas story that all must hear.
YES, VIRGINIA, THERE IS A SANTA CLAUSE
(Thanks Mrs. Gail for letting me share your story)

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a beautiful story!Thank you Lilly and Gail for sharing this miraculous story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was cool too..... (which Anon is which??) hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LIKED THE STORY, BUT IT MADE A DROP OF WATER LEAK OUT OF MY EYE. THIS COULD BE MADE INTO A GREAT MOVIE!!

    ReplyDelete