Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

PEANUT CALLAIS

Peter, this one you will love.
When Mumsie and C, Kris and whomever else
makes it to BINGO they are becoming known
as the Collins gang.
A few weeks ago Jesi said she met this man, Peanut
who said he gave blood for me when I had cancer.
Last night I got to meet Peanut and hear
his side of the story.
He asks me if I am Lilly then he tells me he gave me blood.
I thank him and tease him to say that
his blood runs through me.
He then follows me to our table because
his story is not complete.
He remembers the date, October 1968.
I am impressed with he has the date correct
but then the interesting part of the story comes out.
He says that he was home on army leave getting ready
to leave in two days to go to Vietnam.
He is hanging out with all their friends, Jeff Lee
and others. Peter comes over to their gang
and tells them his baby sister has cancer and needs blood.
The way he says it they were all like,
"Let's go give blood for Peter's little sister"
He got in trouble with the army only two days later.
He lines up in preparation to head to Vietnam
and the first thing they say is that each has
to line up to give " a pint for the soldiers"
He tells them he just gave two days before
and the army Sargent is angry with him.
"Sure you gave two days ago, you will see,
What if your life is the one who needs blood?"
He could tell they do not believe him
and he has to argue his point and try to
explain the story of a little girl in his home town
needed blood. He says he doesn't think they ever
did believe him, only that he was refusing to give blood.
What a great story, I thank him again not
only for his gift of life but also
for the trouble he got into.
You like that one, don't you Peter.
Anyhoo, I still don't know his real name,
only Peanut Callais and he said to tell Peter hi
and next time you are in Thibodaux
to call him, he would love to see you!


8 comments:

  1. Sure it wasn't Walnut Cheramie?? Or Cracked Corn Savoie? ... I think he's a blog lurker that finally pieced enough information together to put a story together .... we'll have to get nonc Pete to verify the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ----- I can't believe Peanut remembered giving blood. But at the time I did make sort of a big issue out of it because at the time it was a big issue to me. I only remember him as Peanut. I can't remember his real name we all called him Peanut. Next time any of you see Jeff Lee ask him about Peanut. He'll have some real funny stories to tell you about Peanut and all of us who used to hang out together.

    ----- Peanut if I remember correctly was actually cusins to Jeff and Hudson Lee.He was related by Jeff's Mom's side of the family because I think Jeff's Mom was a callais before she married. He was pretty crazy like the rest of us.

    ----- Did he say how to get in touch with him? There was other close friends who also gave blood in your name. I can't remember them all. It was a long time ago, too long for me to remember. But I'm glad he told you about it. He used to be real funny. Always clowning around.

    ----- Thanks for the story and the memory and if you see him again please tell him I said hi and hopefully I will see him some time.

    ----- Later,
    --- LUV-U-A,
    ----- Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mikie, did anyone every tell you what a funny guy you are...hahahahah...Cracked Corn Savoie...hahahaha!!

    I'll be it's really Rebecca making all of these funny comments in your name!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it's the truth .... now I got the gros cur again! I've never given blood for anyone and now I'm feeling a little guilty ..... I have a needle-phobia and only a select few are allowed to stab me with a needle. I'm happy to say Auntie Lil is one of them but since her talents are no longer available in the tenth ward, I don't feel as guilty anymore! When Lil was at Camille's office way back when I was first married, she "bee-bopped" in with the needle and syringe when I had a "bug" and I almost fainted ... my exact words were "C'mon Lil, you weren't serious?" ... I think I cried. But now that I know the story about how a nut gave blood for Lil .... where's the bus?? I got some O+ to share with the world! ............ (not!) .. and snot nose, my wife lives it every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter, he works bingo every Monday night so we can get contact information for you or you could come to bingo with us one Monday...
    Mikie, I would not have told that story if you had not, you know hippa laws and confidentiality and all that...
    But now that you brought it up, it was more like, "Lil, no, no Lil I can't do this, come on Lil, can I take a pill or something" (eyes tearing up)
    "Please, there has to be something else" (climbing on the bed to try and escape out the window) There is not many adults I needed help to give shots to but if there were Mikie's name would have been on the top of the list. He failed to say that after that shot he found himself in Houma
    going to surgery to clean out a foot infection that almost made it to the bone. You started Mikie Plaisance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a life threatening, serious foot injury!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ----- I will try to make BINGO and surprise him. I don't know when but one of these Mondays I'm going to show up and see ol' Peanut. Oh, and all of ya'll to of course.

    ----- Later, I have to go cook supper for Cheryl, Andre', and Emily and bring it to their house in Scott.

    ----- LUV-U-A,
    ---Peter

    ReplyDelete
  8. CRACKPOTS....THAT'S ALL I GOTTA SAY ABOUT YOU GUYS...CRACKPOTS.

    PETE, YOU'RE A SWEET CRACKPOT THAT YOU'RE COOKING FOR THE FAMILY.

    MIKIE, YOU'RE A SWEET CRACKPOT, TOO, BECAUSE YOU BROUGHT YOUR LOVELY WIFE TO DINNER LAST NIGHT.

    ReplyDelete