Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

S&H stamps

I am reading a book right now that brought back memories
of old S&H green stamps.
Oh what those wonderful stamps brought to a little girl
being raised in the 60-70 era.
I remember Daddy licking or wetting these green treasures
with a wet towel and placing them in the little paper books.
I never really got involved in that part of the savings
but on the occasion that one of the big sisters picked
up Mumsie and I to go and redeem these green nuggets,
well I was there. I loved the green stamp store as we called it.
There were glass cases full of toys and household things
that could be bought with these stamps.
On the ride there I would dream of what type of toys
might I find there. It was not every time that I
benefited from the savings. Sometimes
Mumsie and Dad saved for something they really needed.
I would stand there in anticipation, waiting for Mumsie
to say, " I have 10 books left Lilly, pick you something."
I can't remember not one thing I was able to purchase
with green stamps. It wasn't about the prize, it
was about the whole trip, the probability that maybe
I would go home with something.
Oh how I loved the S&H green stamp store.

9 comments:

  1. Oh and where or where are all my followers?!!!
    Think maybe you guys can leave me a comment here since I am thinking I am the only one sharing here. Oh and what about all my school friends who I know are reading this, come on, become a follower...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WAS THE "BIG SISTA" THAT BROUGHT YOU TO THE GREEN STAMP STORY. I ALSO USE TO SAVE THESE STAMPS. EVERYWHERE YOU GO YOU WOULD GET GREEN STAMPS. FOOD, GAS, CLOTHS, EVEN JOSEPH'S CLOTHING STORY (WHERE "CELENA" IS NOW WAS JOSEPH'S) WOULD GIVE OUT GREEN STAMPS. THE GREEN STAMP STORE WAS IN LAROSE NEXT TO "THE DOUBLE D". HEY PETE YOU MUST REMEMBER THE GREEN STAMP STORE. AND BY THE WAY, LIL, WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE GREEN STAMPS IN YOUR PICTURE? THAT'S THEM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. patience lil .... when you post happy things you get more responses .... now I myself recall the green stamps (HA!) There was an episode on Brady Bunch and I remember having a brown bowl with a towel and sticking the stamps in a book ... .. oh and the Saints are going to the Superbowl and Jes and I were there....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the picture on the internet but I am on the hunt for some real ones to scrapbook, some of my fellow work friends are searching for me.
    If you guys find some, I want them. Ronnie wasn't there a gold stamp store in Houma also and didn't community coffee used to have a redemption center, remind me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEP, YOU RIGHT! THE REDEMPTION CENTER WAS RIGHT PASS THE PALACE. IT IS STILL THE COMMUNITY COFFEE BUILDING. NOW YOU REMEMBER?????????????

    ReplyDelete
  6. when is ron going to do the blog about the s&m stamps... i simply can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is having trouble finding the redemption center, Mikie...
    He keeps thinking the redemption center is in my bedroom and I keep telling him the saving of those stamps will not help him with me.
    I do not redeem those things

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember a stamp store that we use to go to where Double D is in Larose. They always had cool stuff there. I remember Mom bringing us there to redeem our stamps from the summertime. Mommie would divide the stamps up between all of us (Lil, Tif, and me)and Poppie would help us put the stamps in our own books. Lil do you remember this? Mom do you remember this? For some reason I do!!
    Love,
    Tie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh Lil,
    I share that exact memory...what a precious one!
    Beck

    ReplyDelete