Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

THE PEOPLE OF HAITI



I have put off blogging about the Haiti earthquake.
One because I wasn't feeling well and this whole thing was
making me feel worse and two, because what can be said?
Should I talk about my questions to God?
Should I talk about how tragic each and every personal story is?
Should I talk about our TES french teachers who have
been on pins and needles awaiting news of their loved ones?
This morning I will type with no plans.
I will type what comes to my head in hopes that I can grasp
inside myself what I am feeling.
All of us sometime in our lives have been faced with some
type of horrible happenings that was hard to get through.
We as a community know what total destruction is.
We have seen the floods of Juan, the devastation of Katrina,
the crumbling of our own twin towers.
We know and understand what Haiti is going through,
but only to a point.
You see because even through all of this, we had family
to help us, we had hospitals to go to, we had churches
and groups to pray together. Even though people
were stranded for days after Katrina, we knew once they
were rescued there would be food, shelter, hospitals,
doctors and everything they needed to build back up.
It would be slow but there was hope for these who
lived in one of the richest countries we call home, USA.
What I feel for one of the most poorest places in the
world is something that is hard to put in words.
I cannot imagine surviving this to find my child
dying with no hospital or medical care to bring them to.
To just hold them not knowing what is wrong praying
they either die soon without suffering too much or
wake up and get better over a few days.
There are no places for them to go.
They are laid out in fields waiting for food, water.
When food and water does arrive the trucks sometimes
have to pull away still full because of the mass crowds fighting
for the necessities for life. They are afraid and
this makes them act like animals, they are in survival mode
and they are doing what they feel they must do to live.
Yet in most of the pictures and telecasts, there is
calmness, stillness, resigned fear as this
destruction settles into their minds.
Our people still argue with our governments
our public officials for what is done post-destruction.
We had FEMA trailers, free food, yet we still wanted more.
These people sit and wait for trailers that are not coming
for food and water that will probably be dropped to them
via helicopter as they hold their loved once and pray for
death or life.... Some don't even know what a higher power
or prayer is, they have been too poor to be taught these things.
I cannot even begin to explain what this has made me feel inside.
I don't want to watch yet I am drawn to the channels that
tell the stories of the people of Haiti.
As we go about our Sunday morning, our day
and we celebrate the winning of the Saints
think of one thing you will do for the people of Haiti.
As for me, this morning at church I will be making
my monetary donation to the Catholic Haiti fund.
Nothing I do will be enough in my eyes but
doing nothing is just not an option for me.

3 comments:

  1. Lil, your words are true and heartfelt. I keep praying for the people of Haiti. I can't imagine what they are going through but your words give us a glimpse of their agony. God bless them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just another example of how mother nature is in control and we are not. This has gone on throughout history ... how do you plan for something like this ? When you lose the ability to lead, chaos takes over. The United States of America may be this or that but there's no other country in the world capable of helping the way we do which is often forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a very sad, sad situation and all we can do is pray for their survival and ability to rebuild through generous donations throughout the world.

    ReplyDelete