Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

THE HEADLINE READ...


Yesterday while going through my Daily Comet
a small headline caught my eye.
Yes, right there in the local news.
ONE SIBLING ARRESTED FOR FIGHTING
of course my curiosity was there.
It seems as though somewhere in Houma
a 24 year old brother and his 21 year old sister
got together to spend time.
Evidently alcohol was involved
and the two began to argue to the point that it
became physical and the 21 year old sister had
to jump out of a window to get away from the knife
her brother was carrying.
Shocked me so much that I had to tear out the article.
This morning I can't seem to find it.
How does a relationship between two siblings get to this point
or is the key word alcohol...
Either way it made me very sad just as Dr. Phil did on Friday.
I love Dr. Phil as much as I love Oprah.
Friday was a mother of 7, 5 girls and 2 boys
they were there to solve what I think of as mild issues
that had them not talking for years.
When all were sitting there together
all of their issues seemed petty when Dr. Phil
spoke of how badly they would all feel for the time
lost if one of them died.
How even though his own father was far from perfect,
How sad he had been to bury him if he had not made
amends prior to his death.
I understand this.
I have been blessed with siblings just like the number
on the Dr. Phil show.
We have all had our issues with others in the gang.
I don't think you can ever have that many children
and not ever have issues. We were and remain not a perfect family
yet since loosing my brother, Larry we have all made
a large effort to remain close and try to put
whatever bothers us with the other aside.
It was in loosing "one of our own" that made me
realize what a true blessing siblings are.
Some of us are closer than others. Like
all families, some because of the history of childhood,
have shared more together.
Yet, when I think of each of them I feel blessed.
I also think often especially during the holidays
of my HOBL. He has one half sister and a step-sister.
They are not especially close, nothing in comparison
to the bond he had with his sister, Donna who died in
a car accident in 1986 at the young age of 26.
They were so close and she was the very best
sister-in-law ever.
The night she died she had been at our house playing
with Baby boy at 6 months old.
She turned him over to find his first tooth
and was so excited about it.
I will never forget that moment.
I often wish HOBL had had her many times through
our marriage. She adored her little brother.
Would have done anything for him and vice versa.
She would be so proud of all he had accomplished,
of the children we raised together.
She would have been a "hands on aunt"
as my own sisters have been to them.
My point this Am...
If you have been blessed with siblings.
Make this holiday season the one that you put
any animosity aside and call them.
If you have not spoken to them for some time,
make today the day you call or send a card.
My siblings and I were blessed this month
by celebrating Mumsie's 90th birthday.
We have spent more time together this year than most.
After the party we all just needed some time away
from each other, the joke goes.
Yet the memories of our lives are intertwined forever.
As Dr. Phil says often:
"Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?"
Put all negative issues aside and make this the year
you thank God for them.
May we all remember the blessings of siblings
during this holiday season.

4 comments:

  1. I think you should do a blog on math .... Last time I checked, Jesi is 21. How can Rod be 20? If he was 6 months old in 1990 then he'd be 20 now ... In the words of C&C Music Factory ... makes you go hmmmmmmmm.

    And sometimes it takes alcohol to make me want to talk to people .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. And let me add something about the picture, I was about one year away from being "in that number"... I knew Uncle Joe for a few months, I met Uncle Pat once or twice, I remember that sweater Larry always wore, and I really wish we could see all of Rudy's head. He was the president of CJ's son in law club and he was my mentor .... now that I'm president, I use what I learned every day ... me and my sergeant in arms, Gilbert, carry the torch with pride. And can someone tell me Uncle Ted's condition in that picture ... he's proudly showing off that Budweiser..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey this has nothing to do with the article, but I was reading the news today and I would have to give Obama and the other politcians positive feedback for removing the don't ask don't tell policy fro the Military. It is about time that we respect these people that are brave and courageous to die for or country, they should of had the freedom years ago to be who they are and admit it, I myself being in the military would have no problem fighting besides someone that is gay, and must say that if anybody else would it is probably because there homophobic. I have known alot of gay people in my life and won't name no people, but I am proud to say today that I feel this is a big Victory for america and the Gay community, My Salute to you all, for serving and defending our freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. anonymous, the luxury of being the author of the blog=being able to correct the mistakes making all of those reading after the correction wonder what in the world is he talking about...
    HOBL although, like you said, your post has nothing to do with the blog, I know, for you it has everything to do it with it as your wonderful sister who has passed was gay and you always respected her vocalism for this.
    So in your own way, it does say a lot about this blog.

    ReplyDelete