Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Loosing my taste for coffee...

Gee you know it's been too long since I blogged,
my own site doesn't recognize me on the computer
anymore, had to log on!!!!
Okay, on to the topic.
I am upset with the fact that I have lost
my taste for coffee.
Since November and surgery I have tried
and tried and just cannot redevelop the taste.
You may ask, "And why is this bothering her?"
Well, it has been with me since I was a little girl
and understood that coffee was a staple for
anyone born on the bayou of Lafourche.
There are too many memories surrounded around
my first cup of coffee in the morning for me to just give it up.
I began drinking coffee as a very little girl.
It was the way we started every morning in the Collins home.
Of course, in the beginning it was more like what
we called COFFEE-MILK
Dad would have that pot brewing on the stove,
way before Mr. Coffee came to be.
It was the first thing you smelled when you woke up
and because the Daddy I had waited on the younger crew,
He had the coffee in our favorite cup waiting for us.
He had either the home made cigar biscuits in the oven
or the toast buttered and cut into threes the way we liked it.
Or he had the green box of crackers waiting on the table
for him to crush in our coffee cup.
My daddy had my Mumsie spoiled for her coffee,
he was not what you would call a romantic man
but every morning my Mumsie awakened to coffee in bed
if she had worked the night before at Randolph's.
It was a wonderful childhood.
As I grew, married and moved on my own,
it was the one thing HOBL and I always both did when he
was home. One of us makes the first batch of coffee and
the second person made the next batch.
We raised both the children around our cups of coffee.
It remained the one thing I needed before waking the babies
or fixing their breakfasts. I needed that cup of coffee.
While I was pregnant for both babies, I gave up coffee drinking
and longed for it so badly. Still making the pot for HOBL so
I could at least smell the aroma.
Now as a 47 year old woman, I looked forward to it every morning.
I now fix my coffee, sit on my recliner with my fav. doggie, Trixie
and drink, blog, and stalk facebook every morning.
When HOBL is home sometimes we have our cup together,
sometimes I just make his to wait for when he gets up.
If he wakes up before me he makes his then puts
mines to brew (well sometimes he remembers).
Now you understand why my loss of taste for coffee
if bothering me. Too much history and good memories
behind the morning brew to just give it up.
So every morning I awaken and put the 4 cup pot
to brew. This pot fills my favorite mug perfectly.
I continue to sit here, like now, with trixie on my side
and the cup to my left.
I know by the time I am done only a few sips will be gone
from the cup but the morning routine
will stay until I know for sure I just can't
drink it anymore because I am just
not ready to make my coffee drinking days
part of my history.


3 comments:

  1. Lil, I totally understand! I look forward to my cup of coffee every morning. Guy doesn't drink it often but I have a cup with my Dad when he comes to visit, Simone too. Every morning I drink my coffee while watching the news and putting on my makeup.
    Since you lost your taste for it at this time, it's probably only temporary. Try a different brand and see if that helps. It worked for me. It will take time for your body to recover from surgery. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should clean your coffee maker .... now there you go thinking I'm being snide right off the bat but I'm not ... really, try cleaning it either with a little more or less vinegar or change.. I've found in my 29 years that coffee is fickle...or drive HOBL totally nuts and spend your $$ on Starbucks everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you are talking about, my sweet Lilly. For the past few months, I just have not been drinking coffee either - I just have not felt like it... I think that will change when I go back to Colombia!

    ReplyDelete