Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Remembering a life lesson taught to baby boy...


Sometimes in the wee hours of the morning,
when I can't sleep anymore like this one
that has had me up since 4 am,
I reminisce about the babies and when they
were growing up and things that happened,
things HOBL and I taught them
and sometimes I find it strange that it is the
simple lessons in life that I remember
most vividly and move me to gro-cud
(for you non-speaking cajun/slang people
that would meant tears)
This morning my thoughts are on a early teenage lesson
that God helped arrange for me to help baby boy.
HOBL and I, we were not the type of parents
who gave gifts "just because"
Sure sometimes when we went shopping they may
get a little something, or a candy bar on the candy aisle
at Walmart or Dufrene's supermarket.
But they were not beggars in stores for anything
because they never expected anything.
BB had many friends who got things "just because"
We never believed in gifts of expense or 4-wheelers
or those types of things.
It didn't make us super-parents in our children's eyes.
They, especially Baby boy, never understood
why he couldn't have or ride 4-wheelers
or have expensive gifts.
It was the source of many arguments in our home
because he always so wanted those things.
On one such time, I guess he was about 13,
a friend of his had just got the best, new and improved
4-wheeler ever. No reason except that his parents
felt like getting it for him.
This child got many material things but not so much
time with his parents.
So on this day, BB ragged a lot about how cheap we were
and why couldn't we spend just a little of
"all the money we had"
(I think he thought we were rich....)
and get him a 4-wheeler.
It went on most of the day,
I kept explaining how I didn't believe they were safe,
how they were supposed to be driven by no one under
the age of 16, just like the sticker said,
yadda, yadda, yadda...
Finally I just gave up and let it be and he was upset the whole
day. Not only because I didn't let him have one but also
because I didn't let him ride on them.
(he did of course behind my back without my permission
as he got older)
As all parents are, of course it made me sad
to see him sad, but such is the life of a parent.
I wasn't there to be his friend but to be his parent and
I felt very strongly about it.
Even at 13 I still tucked my babies in at night.
I know he would say today that it was lame
but every night, I would go in each of their rooms
and spend just a little time with them.
This night he still was not happy with me.
It was about 10pm, it was a school night and it
was late for my babies because they had a pretty strict
bedtime. But BB could not sleep because of the roar
of the 4-wheeler he wanted so badly.
Baby girl had probably been asleep for
hours she was an early bird way back when.
I sat on his bed kissed him goodnight and as I sat
there we could hear the roar of the new 4-wheeler
in the street.
BB again said how he wished he had a 4-wheeler.
I bent down to kiss him and I said
(I used his real name at that time)
"Roddie John I know you would love to have that 4-wheeler
and I know you don't get why you can't have one but can I
tell you what you do have that he does not have?"
He sarcastically said, "What momma?"
I said to him,
"It is 10:00 pm at night and he is riding a 4-wheeler
up and down the street. He has no one right now
who cares enough to make sure he is in his home,
ready for bed, clean and tucked in.
He has no one sitting at his bedside right now to
say goodnight and that he is loved.
BB, he got these messages at a young age.
He got up and gave me a big hug told me goodnight
and as we ended each night, he told me he loved me.
My babies, they got these types of lessons.
I would love to say after this that he never begged again
for a 4-wheeler but that would be a lie.
He was a typical teenager, selfish and believing that
the world revolved around him just as he should have
believed at that age.
However, for that night he got it, he understood
in the big scope of life he was the lucky one
and it didn't cost a thing.

7 comments:

  1. gross cur = big heart ... not gross cud -- big cow's chew. It does make a little difference ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. In a child's eye, it is the material things that count but don't realize the love we give to them, some kids just don't have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but bfob, what is my grade today aside from cow chew cudding, what's the grade because i am quite proud of this post...

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should have gotten the kid the 4-wheeler... may have saved you some headaches in the long run. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH.. I'd say a solid B ... a little too wordy... A+ for content D for grammar and structure = B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! You da good moma!

    ReplyDelete