Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Yesterday in an elevator.


Yesterday was my appointment with Dr. Donner.
I love him because he is always the optimist,
what I want and try to be.
He shows me my xrays and we talk about how awesome
it is that already I have lots of difference in
my daily pain.
He shows me on the xrays how the plate and screws
are in place and then he tells me he is just
a little discouraged because after 4 weeks
there is not yet any calcium build-up
between the discs which would tell us
that the fusion was beginning to do its job.
This is seen and all it basically means is
that 4 more weeks of wearing this brace I hate
and doing basically nothing.
You can't be discouraged when having an appointment
with Dr. D. he just tells you to keep doing what
you are doing, wear your brace religiously and
see you in 4 weeks.
So I leave and get in the elevator and for one
minute I am self-involved with knowing
for 4 more weeks my life has been laid out.
I guess I am just a little discouraged because
I am ready to move on in this life of mines,
ready to make this part of my past.
As I get in the elevator, this 60ish cleaning lady
allows me to get in first and she follows me in
looking like Carol Burnette with all her mops and brooms.
I am not my normal talkative self, hmmm that is unusual...
She however wants to talk.
She begins to chit chat and I am listening but not really
participating much.
The elevator door opens and she wishes me a wonderful
holiday season. I wish her the same and she thanks me
but says she has a feeling this one will not be
good for her. She leaves the elevator
and I press the button to hold the doors open.
"Why" I ask...
then she sadly tells me,
"Yes, my husband died two months ago and
I am so lonely and I know that this Christmas
is going to be very lonely"
So I put my big girl panties on and stop myself
from being so self-absorbed and I spend a
few minutes with this wonderful lonely
little housekeeper and I then count my blessings.
So what if I have to wear a stupid
Ninja turtle brace as the great nieces and nephews call it.
They think it's cool and there will be no lonely
Christmas for me.
There is so much out there in the world
to think about besides myself.
Let us not forget that if we think we have it rough,
There are many who have a much harder life than we do.


7 comments:

  1. Da duh duh da duh duh duh da duh duh .... Did the old lady grab her ear before she walked out? I used to love Tim Conway when he was that short office dude and Carrol was his secretary .... You should have told that lady to quit being self-absorbed also.. it does no one any good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This is exactly what I needed to hear this morning. GOD's words to my ears. Thank you Lil!



    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are welcomed, B
    and BFOB unlike the sound of music you quoted yesterday that I didn't know of, I loved old Carol and can and have many times sung to the kids at my school and anyone else who wanted to listen:
    I'M SO GLAD WE HAD THIS TIME TOGETHER, JUST TO LAUGH OR SING A SONG OR TWO, SEEMS WE JUST GET STARTED AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT, COMES THE TIME WE HAVE TO SAY SO LONG....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cooked some of that fablous Halibut 2 nights ago. I just heated a non-stick pan really hot - put a bit of olive oil in and put the lightly salted flesh side down and let it brown. OK - the kitchen got smokey - but it did not burn - honest - just got a nice golden brown crust which is so nice! I opened the windows a bit - no big deal!
    I waited until it was cooked about half way through then flipped - man it was BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
    I let it finish cooking. I finished it with a squeeze of fresh organic lemon juice for my lemons I grew in Montegut.
    I served me and William the Halibut. Oh my goodness!!!! It was sweet and wonderful - not "fishy" at all!!!!
    I am glad I cooked 2 fillets. We devoured one that night. I cooked some fresh beets - just boiled with a bit of salt. And sauteed some mushrooms and spinach with a bit of olive oil and a touch of balsamic vinegar. And a bit of white rice on the side - gotta have that!
    Lilly - the simple preperations are the best at times!
    I will fix the other fillet broken up today in a thai style with soba noodles, green beans, and a peanut/ coconut milk sauce I think... That is what I am craving! It will be quick to fix and oh so delicious!!!
    Thank you, my friend for thinking of me! You made us very happy - and our bellies and taste buds, too.

    Oh - and turtles are cool - the fusions will take hun - just give them time - God is just telling you you need to slow down a little more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand your point, my sweet Aunt Lil! Thanks for sharing this blog, we can ALL learn something from this one. We need to remember to keep Christ in Christmas,too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally know the "cleaning lady" you speak of,and she is a true sweetheart!Her husband died of cancer.Thank you for taking the time to listen...something we should ALL remember to do.It is good for the heart & soul. Now,you,dear Lilly,hang in there.Prayers continue for your healing & soon this,too,will be just a memory.

    You may not see,or hear us,your faithful blog followers,but we listen to you and think of you often.Many days,YOU are the voice/words we need to hear,and I feel blessed to have you in my world.Gina B has been with me in spirit as I work on a special project for her family.I hope to share that with you one day.Until then,take care!!

    Becky M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BEcky M. my HOBL leaves next week to go back to Alaska and I will be finished with all the preparations involved on my end for my Mom's 90th bday party and then you will have to come over and share the gift as well as our new friendship. Cannot believe you know this wonderful cleaning lady!!!!!
    Lea, glad you loved the halibut and since we here at the Riera home are just not big fans of it, I may be sending more your way before you leave the country..... love to all...

    ReplyDelete