Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

THE SISTA CHAINS

There are two things that my Mumsie always wore proudly
to show the world she was the mother of 7.
One was her Mothers ring, a birthstone for each child.
The other was a charm bracelet that had many charms
but the important ones to her were the ones that
announced her children's names and birth dates.
I am not sure who gave her the bracelet maybe
one of the older siblings can help here.
Before Mumsie's mind was taken by dementia,
in a time that I called her just Momma,
she put much thought into birthday and Christmas presents.
When C turned 40 the sisters were at my house when Mom
presented her with her charm on a beautiful gold chain.
How thoughtful, to think that my Mother, took
apart one of her prized possessions, to give to us.
We were all so excited because we knew as each of
our birthdays came we would also be presented
with the same gift. Mumsie always made sure
to be fair and give us all the same thing.
We waited anxiously for each of our charms.
Because C's birthday is in February and mines is in August,
I had to wait a few months.
I couldn't wait, I had played with these charms attached
to her wrist many times when bored in church as a little girl.
She was observant enough to know that the two boys
would not want a chain so she made them keychains with theirs.
I pray that one of Larry's sons has his...
Eventually we all got our chains and began to call them the
SISTA CHAINS
Poor Taunt Mone lost hers but the rest of us try and always
wear it when we spend time together.
Sometimes we don't remind each other, just to see if
everyone will remember when we spend time.
Sometimes we remind each other to wear them.
For Mumsie's birthday, if you were at the party,
you may have noticed them around all the sista's necks
except for Taunt Mone...
This chain bonds us, it is a reminder of how important
we are to each other.
Somehow we have to find one for Taunt Mone...
However she will always be bonded to us siblings
just as the two brothers are.
We, as a family, has been blessed
with the very best Mumsie ever!

1 comment:

  1. That is truly one of the most special gifts I have ever received in my life. It is one that I have always and will always cherish with all my heart.
    I do believe that it may have been Dad who bought the bracelet after the first two or three children and each time another was born he was sure to complete her bracelet. That's the story I remember but yall know that I don't ever pay attention so I may have it twisted...LOL.

    Thanks for letting me know the topic today, Lil and I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better. As always I pray that it continues.

    Love to All
    SNC

    ReplyDelete