Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world...

Nostalgia surrounded me yesterday afternoon.
I headed down to my family church in Golden Meadow,
Our Lady of Prompt Succor to
give a presentation to 60 confirmation candidates.
As I waited for my time to present,
because I am a sappy person,
I reflected on all of my life that took place in this church
as well as the LaSalette Center where the retreat took place.
I have never had a desire to move back to the bayou
but I still call it home, always will, so proud of my home.
When it was my turn to speak they wanted to
put a microphone on me and I started with.
"I don't need that microphone, I am loud and obnoxious,
I am from Golden Meadow"
I am from Golden Meadow and in that beautiful church,
I made all my sacraments, my children made most of their sacraments.
I had my own religion teachings there as well as taught religion
there for over 10 years.
When I was introduced as a guest I had to correct that I
was not a guest, that I felt like I should break out into song,
"I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home"
Well that got the adults laughing and the teens looking at me
like I was crazy....
The LaSalette had changed little in the many years since
I was a little girl, same floors, same sliding wooden partitions.
As a little girl, the LaSalette center was a place to hang out.
We had movie nights there, popcorn and a big pull down screen
that would show us old reel to reel movies.
It did not matter that the movies were black and white and
uninteresting, it mattered that our friends were there.
Uncle Roy used to run the building and on some Saturdays
he would come pick us up to play in the game room they had
back in the day. A pool table, fuseball and a pinball machine
was housed there and we had a blast playing them.
As a younger girl, I helped serve many weddings in that
building as my cousin, Ms. Neva would hire us to
help for weddings she cooked for.
So many memories of my little church and LaSalette center.
So proud to have been asked to speak there.
So many old friends to see,
I was comfortable there and although I know I will
never again live dtb, I will never be a guest there.
Forever to proudly call Golden Meadow home.
The road will never be too long to take me home.

5 comments:

  1. This is what you suppose to do with your life! God just made you realize it by not have a good week going back to your nursing job. Go out and "DO YOUR STUFF" and know your Bayou Family will be right behind you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The real thanks needs to go to Pat, Gwen and James for taking over the confirmation program over the past few years. OLOPS has had an outstanding confirmation program and with their dedication it only gets better. I like seeing they bring in top knotch talent. However, we did change the wooden doors. Same style partitions but no longer the "sister school" wooden ones. Did you do "sister school" in the summers or were you too old?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no I loovvvvweeeedddd sister school and you are right that group running the confirmation class is first class

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember taking a bus from our house to "sister school"... I hated getting up early but I loved those containers of crayons ... good times in that building.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes and I remember on the last day if you didn't miss any days the sisters lined up all these awesome religious prizes you could pick from... it was my favorite. I was such a geek for my religious items even as a youngster!

    ReplyDelete