Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

This whole Mumsie thing....

This whole Mumsie thing is so surreal.
I think of her constantly.
I get butterflies when I am on my way to see her
and I get sad when I have to leave her.
I can't kiss her enough and although I know
there are times that it would be better for
her parents to let her cry, the minute she does
I hand her to her parents so they can comfort her.
I have a longing, when I am holding her, to go into her
quiet beautiful room and rock on the rocker her DeDa
gave to her Mommy and stare at her beautiful face.
I want to sing to her stupid songs that I make up in my head.
I want her to hear and know my voice.
I dream of things we will do together and I tell her all
about them when we are alone in her room.
I want her to always be safe,
I don't want her stomach to hurt and we cheer
when she poops....
Yes, cheer when she poops!
We are terribly smitten with this beautiful child.
I have to talk to her parents every day
and BB and I can again talk about unimportant mundane
daily events that we had lost over the course
of him becoming a man.
I have a newfound tenderness for my own babies
and my daughter-in-law.
I have to talk to BG daily too and unlike when she lived
with us, I have a new tenderness for her,
so proud of how she is learning to take care of
herself and how proud she is of herself.
My words are softer and kinder.
I try to be supportive without confusing them with
advice that comes from all ends when you have a new baby,
when you are living alone for the first time.
I know this wanting to move closer to Jilly will pass
but I am constantly thinking of how great it would be
if I lived where my precious one could come any day
she wanted but that would put me further from my own
Mumsie and Baby girl.
I love being a Mumsie but was not prepared for all
the feelings that came with it.
There is no way you can explain this to anyone else.
As I have said before, there are no words in the
English vocabulary that can explain in a proper way
and yet I would have it no other way than
to have this beautiful, perfect child be my grandaughter
and I her Mumsie.

No comments:

Post a Comment