Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

47 years ago today


47 years ago today I was born to
Freddie and Minta Collins.
They were 43 and 45 years old
and already had 6 other children.
I was the only child that my mother required a C-section for.
Since then I have been overly spoiled by all
those wonderful people I call my siblings.
I feel so blessed to have been given the
life I have had.
Having had a type of cancer at 5 that at that time
was incurable made them spoil me even more.
It is a big joke in my family
that I didn't get my first bike until I was 12
because they kept waiting for me to die,
when I refused they decided to buy me a bike.
That story still makes me laugh.
Because of the wonderful trials that doctors
experimented with on me, I am alive today.
I have some medical complications because of this
intense treatment but am not bitter knowing
that the only other option would have been death.
However, I believe that the real treatment that
saved my life was the undying love and commitment
of a family who would just not accept death
and faught and did all they could do save the baby of the family.
Forever grateful knowing that for every birthday I celebrate,
they, my family all cheer for another year.
Thanks to all the birthday wishes and all of those
who sacrificed so many years ago for the life
of one little 5 year old girl.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, my baby sista is 47 years old today! Life is strange because I remember her birth and her ordeal of health like it was yesterday. Yes, we as a family with our father battling health problems and our mom having to work sometimes 14 hours a day just to keep up. We all sacrificed for the life of out beloved baby sister. Of course, not just us but our extended family also helped. Uncle Luke and Aunt Nan TaTA taking care of Dad, to Aunt Jeanie and Uncle Roy babbysitting the other youngsters, to Aunt MaeMae cooking meals and Randolph sending all his left overs from the day and Aunt GolGol opening her home to all of us anytime and for how long we had to stay. Sometimes these stays went into weeks but the Griffins never said anything negative and welcomed us with open arms. The phrase "IT TAKED A VILLAGE TO RAISE A CHILD" is so true when it cames to the Collins and Cheramie families.

    Thanks to all for everything you'll has done for this child!

    Happy Birthday, my beautiful sista!

    We all hope that you have many more!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Lil! We thank God that you are in our lives! Enjoy your day! Love you!

    ReplyDelete