Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Could you do this?

Laura Bucktell told this story yesterday on
channel 4 news.
A young adult on the streets of New York
last February holds a man up by knife point
and demands an innocent man's wallet.
The man hands over his wallet and
tells the criminal
"You know what, it's cold today, here have my coat"
The boy looks shocked and confused but he takes the coat.
The man then says that he would like
to take him to breakfast.
Again the criminal looks shocked but he agrees to have
breakfast with the man he just held up.
As they sit in the restaurant they begin to talk
and the man asks what this young adult wants to
do with his life, they talk about why he feels the need
to be a criminal rather than an honest man.
When the check comes the man tells the criminal.
"You will have to pay for breakfast. I would pay for it
but since you have my wallet, I have no money.
I will also agree to help you better your life if
you give me my wallet and the knife you are holding."
The criminal hands over and the man is true to his word.
Today, six months later they remain friends
and the almost-criminal is now in college being
mentored by the same man he held up in
the streets of New York.
How is that for changing the world?
I would never have the courage to do this,
not to mention the idea to try.
Wonderful story for hump day...

1 comment:

  1. Now my first thought was "good way to get killed" ... my second thought was "that was a typical first thought from me". So maybe the problem isn't with the world but with me so if I change myself then the rest of the world will change too. Right? Nope... because my first thought is correct because I truly believe that we must help those that need help and kick those that steel or rob in the goobers. However, it is a good story that does give you the fuzzies inside.

    ReplyDelete