Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

what makes a friend for life?

I have been blessed with many friends but there are three
friends who I consider life friends.
Friends who have been there since elementary school,
through high school and now as adults. Even
though we don't get to visit as often as we would like,
I call these three my life friends.
They are Tanial, Laurie and Ann.
Today, myself and two of these life friends came together
to bury Laurie's daddy.
This blog is not about us, however.
It is about my great niece Abby and her life friend, Jessica
who happens to be my friend, Laurie's 11 year old daughter.
Ann and I arrive at church and visit with our dear friend Laurie
and her family.
We take a seat and my Abby comes sit with us.
Where Abby is, Jessica is not far behind.
Lisa, Abby's mother sits in the back with her parents.
I am so glad Abby has decided to sit with me because
we don't get to visit as often as we would like to.
Having Jessica with us adds to the conversation and
they are being silly friends, making me laugh before the mass begins.
Once mass begins we all listen intently as the pastor
speaks to us about Mr. Nolan and I hear Jessica sniffling.
I reach across Abby's back to comfort Jessica.
This I believe, causes her to cry more
and this is when I am able to witness a moment of life friends.
My Abby notices that her friend is having a rough moment.
They, like Laurie and I, have been friends since 1st grade.
They know the worst and the best of the other.
My Abby, this special sensitive child,
takes her friends arm in hers and intertwines their arms together.
She holds Jessica's hand with their arms wrapped and she
grabs her purse to pull out two Kleenex's one for her and one for Jess.
I am now teary-eyed.
I have my arm around the both of them
yet I am beaming with pride and honored that I have
been a witness to my great nieces' show of love for her friend.
She too is crying because she has pain for a friend.
She holds her friend until it is time for us to leave church
then Jessica goes to be with her Mom.
I hug my Abby I whisper in her ear,
"You are such an awesome friend"
and in true Abby form with tears running down her
beautiful face she shakes her head and says....
"I know"
She doesn't lack self-confidence either.
I realize that our Abby is a very special child and
I also realize that what she and Jessica have
is the same friendship that I have with
Laurie
and
Ann
and
Tanial.
A life friend.
I love you Abby and all you stand for.
Be true to yourself and don't let the world change
your sensitive side.
Sometimes you remind me of myself and I am
so darn proud that you are my niece.

4 comments:

  1. I,to, saw a change in Abby at the Tea Party in June. She has grown from a little girl to now a beautiful, sensitive, smart young lady! I spent a lot of time with her at the tea and I was so excited for her to share that day with all 25 of us. Abby you are a special person, stay true to yourself and the world is yours! We love you very much and although we don't spend enough time together the time we are together is so special to me. Lisa and Guy, you'll have done a wonderful job with Abby and she will make you'll even prouder than you'll are today. Guy, Buddy, better find your baseball bat right now because in just a couple of years you will need it! HA HA HA

    Love to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lil and Aunt Ronnie! Abby is very special to us and she is blessed to have Jessica as her friend for life. They are always there for each other. She never ceases to amaze us with her views of life and her loyalty towards those she loves. We love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lilly, I was sitting across the aisle from you and the girls at Mr. Nolan's funeral. My heart was warmed as I witnessed the great friendship that Jess and Abby share. I always knew these girls were "close", but never realized how connected they really are. They share not only a friendship, but a true bond that not many people know is possible. They are very lucky to have this bond and I know they will be "Life Friends". I do not know Abby as well as I know Jess, but I know their parent's have done a great job raising these two fine young girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lil,
    Thank you for the glowing account of Abby's behavior at Mr. Nolan's funeral. Her empathy for Jessica and her family was remarkable for a 10 year old. We know Jessica has good parents and we tell Abby all the time how lucky she is to have parents like Guy & Lisa who love her and will give her every opportunity to grow in to a productive young woman. David & I are proud of her and we love her very much. We try to see her every other week to see the growth in her busy schedule. Love you, Mrs. Mary

    ReplyDelete