Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

aha moments

Friday at mass the seminarians homily was about
the transfiguration of Jesus Christ.
How once his three followers saw that he truly
was the Son of God that they wanted to pitch tent
on the mountain and never leave.
However Jesus reminded them that the job
was not yet done, they had to go into the village and
try to get as many followers as they could.
He reminded us that as believers, that is what
we are asked to do.
We do not see the transfiguration as these three followers do.
We see Jesus in the little things in the world
sometimes it's hard to tell whether it is a small miracle
or just a coincidence.
Yet every once in a while we have those "AHA moments!"
Ones that can only be miracles to a true believer.
I have been blessed to have quite a few of these AHA moments.
I am not special, it happens to all of us, just some of us
choose to either not follow through to do our part in the
miracle or we believe more in coincidences than God.
I will this week share some of these AHA moments.
A friend of mines comes into the doctors office
with her mother.
This was not a friend who I hung out with, more
friends because our boys played biddy together.
When your children play biddy, you spend weekends in gyms.
Her mother was like mine, never missed a grandchild's game.
So I knew them quite well.
On this day it was not basketball season so I had not seen them
in a while. She was accompanying her mother to the doctor
because her mother had been suffering for some time with back pain.
I was on phone lines that day but for God's reason,
I was checking them in.
I took one look at her mother who was gray in color and
emaciated and became filled with the feeling that this
woman was dying of bone cancer.
It bothered me, I kept making eye contact with my friend
and saying to both her and her mother,
this looks really serious...
I was hoping that through my eyes she would know her mother
was dying. I could not say this, I am a nurse,
there was no proof of this.
I left the room and told my doctor/friend
I would bet money that this woman has terminal cancer.
He went in to do his exam and came out having us
order many tests for the very next day.
He prescribed pain medications, strong ones
because her pain was tremendous and she had not
had relief in weeks.
In privacy, he agreed with my diagnosis.
My friend and her mother leave but I am not sitting well
with the fact that I didn't speak to my friend privately.
Like bothering me in a way that I could not sit still.
A nurse is not supposed to share these types of thoughts
but she is my friend.
I go into the front office, something I never did
and I walk to the glass partition, slide it back and
standing there is my friend. Right there and we are
making eye contact. Her mother is in the car and she has
a question about the tests of tomorrow.
So when God uses you as an instrument, what are you to do?
I call her into an exam room.
I look at her I take her hand and I say,
"I could loose my job for this but I want you to know
that I think you Mom is dying, I think she has cancer
and I don't think she is going to make it"
She looks into my eyes and begins to cry.
I explain that I don't know why I feel the urge to share
this but I couldn't let her leave without telling her.
She is crying lots now, she has no reason to believe me
but she does, because I tell her I feel called to tell her this.
She gets herself together hugs me, thanks me and leaves.
I finally feel the calm that I always feel after being part of God's work.
I go on with my day.
The next morning as soon as the phone lines are turned on
there is a call from my friend's sister-in-law
she was asked to call and let me know that my
friend's mother had passed away in her sleep that very night.
I am in shock, but knowing that I had did what my God had
called me to do. The story would be perfect right here right?
Well there is more.
Later in the day I get a call from my friend.
She calls crying to thank me for opening her eyes to the
fact that her mom was dying.
Before our confrontation her plans were to bring her
mom to her own home, give her medication and pick her up
the next day for her tests.
However, because of our meeting that upset her so much,
she took her mother to her home for the night.
She medicated her mom with the new pain medications
and for the first time in weeks her mother had pain relief.
During the night she heard her mother sigh
and she went in to check on her.
She called her mothers name and her mother shared
with her that for the first time in months she was resting and
felt so much better. She and my friend shared
how much they loved each other and how everything would
be okay. My friend went back to bed to sleep well
knowing her mom was finally feeling better.
She awakened to find that her mother had died peacefully
in her sleep during the night.
My friend was full of thanksgiving to me and said
forever she would think of my as an angel sent to
give this to her mom and her.
I just believe that God used me as an instrument.
Would you agree? An AHA moment.
Happy Monday

3 comments:

  1. By the way, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!

    I had one of those AHA moments last week that i want to share. Well, Gilbert and I were sitting at Holy Rosary Church waiting for the blessing and dedication of the school and students. We were talking about if we had made the right decision sending Angelique to HRCS. I told Gilbert that I had prayed and prayed but God had never valadated our decision. We were worried that Angelique would not "fit in". The students started to come into church, and there she was all bright eyed and with a smile that I had never seen before. She was so excited and said that she was loving her day. I wanted to cry, but I didn't. Our new principal, Mr. Scott Bouzigard, got up and spoke to everyone. I am going to quote his exact words, "Everyone that is here today is here for a reason - You were chosen to be here by God!" Gilbert turned to me with the same smile Angelique had and said, "Did you hear your answer?" I cried as I told him YES! We got down on our knees at the same time and said a great big THANK YOU, LORD!!!

    That very same day, as I picked Angelique up from school she got into the car and still had that same smile. She asked me, "Mom, Guess who I met today?" I had no idea so I in turn asked her WHO? She said excitedly,"JESUS! I learned how to meditate and talk to HIM!" I began to cry, because anothe prayer had been answered.

    Thanks, Lil for posting your blog!
    Thank you, Jesus, Lord, and Savior for giving me the validation of my decision and sending Jesus into my daughter's life.

    Tie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an angel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think so, Lea, think I just listen....

    ReplyDelete