Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

The dream of a lake house

HOBL and I have talked many times of things we
would like to do when we get "old".
Like I have shared before HOBL also always
dreamed of living off of the waterways of
bayou Lafourche.
Lately our dreams have changed.
Selling the bike, for me was hard, because
one of his dreams was that on retirement we
would be able to travel on the bike and see parts
of the world off the back of the Harley.
Yet, when my health had other ideas he unselfishly
decided that if I couldn't share that dream, he really didn't
need the bike. He never said this aloud but I know
my HOBL enough to know that this was part of the reason
for selling the Harley.
In the last couple of months though we have talked
much about this lake house that we will have.
Not as a camp but as a way of life.
I am coming to the acceptance that I will not be working
when I am 60, just won't happen.
I have fears of when I have to leave my nursing career
that is so much a part of me. What will I do?
HOBL knows and understands that I struggle with this.
So we have began talking and dreaming of what we will
do for the rest of our life when this part is over.
When Mumsie calls heaven home he and I
will be moving. St. Francisville is the place where we will look.
What do we want at our dream home?
We want a lake in our backyard.
Not just a pond, but a waterway that takes us places.
I want to sit there each morning and drink my coffee,
journal and enjoy the beauty of this wonderful place.
I want to be able to sit and fish for long periods of time
without needing a boat.
We want chickens, yep chickens.
I want to have a coop where we have eggs to eat.
I want a goat.
A goat to roam our land and keep the grass short.
We will have a few little puppies, more than just the
two loves we have now.
I want a scrap room that houses all my hobbies.
Most importantly I want a guest house or
in-law quarters on our property.
I want this in-law quarter to be self-sufficient
so that the guests who stay there feel like they can stay
for as long as they want.
I want this quarters to always have someone visiting.
I want this place to be a source of relaxation for those I love.
I want my babies and their families to visit often and long.
Eventually, this dream will be.
When my HOBL has something in his head, it always happens.
The dream adds excitement to our lives
and lets me know that I will be okay and even very happy
when nursing is not a way of life for me.
It is so much fun to search the real estate with HOBL and
wonder where we will end of a few years from now.
I am loving this dream stuff...

3 comments:

  1. yep a goat to eat the grass that grow while HOBL is in alaska. Always wanted a goat and they are cheaper than a riding lawn mower I hear....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lil, it sounds wonderful! - oh and I have always wanted a goat too so I don't have to cut the grass as much :)

    ReplyDelete