Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

collections...


Many of us have collections.
I have a miniature collection and a tea pot collection.
I collect scrapbook things and photographs.
My HOBL...
Well he only collects one thing and it is money.
It is a big joke in our home that HOBL
likes to save 99 cents off of every dollar.
It is why we have separate checking accounts.
Where am I going with this?
HOBL has been requesting to sell the Harley for some time.
Ever since I really can't ride with him anymore
and many of his old bike riding friends have died
he has lost interest in the bike life.
It was costing him more for the upkeep and just
driving him crazy that it was taking up space in his life.
I was against it for a long time because
he just couldn't get the price for it that I felt he deserved.
I also felt like this was his and should keep it.
However, when HOBL has something on his mind, it
is very hard to get him to change it.
I also had ulterior motives for finally giving in to the sale.
I have wanted one of those full scale electric pianos for
some time and when baby boy and KD decided to sell
theirs I really had been thinking about it.
Another collection for me: Hobbies.
Playing the piano is another hobby.
So I deal with him, he can sell the bike if he buys me the piano.
Oh he is all over that, then he can add a little more to
his money collection.
He may have to give up a few hundred for the piano
but the bulk of the dollars he can put in our savings.
His collection is about to grow....
He calls me after the sale to give me the figure of his
money collection. Whatever, I am at work and busy,
I am happy he is so happy, but really I am not into
his money collection.
I am more interested in when that piano is coming...
This is where the funny part comes in.
He sits in his castle surrounded by all that he has bought
with his money collection feeling so proud
of his big addition to the hobby when he and baby girl smell
something burning.
If you know HOBL this is a main event especially if
it is happening on the same day he is leaving for work.
Baby girl calls me and she is laughing.
HOBL, her Deda is stressed because the TV has
just burned itself out and now the collection will have
to be a little less when he has to replace the tv.
hahahahaha
He is insistent he can have this huge Tv repaired.
He asks that I wait until he gets home in two weeks before
I make another big purchase.
I agree, knowing that if that TV had blown out before
he wrote that check for that piano, I would not
have gotten that piano.
Why is it that something that used to be a source of
aggravation and arguing I now find
very endearing.
I love HOBL, really I do....
and the way he loves his collection.
(I mean how can you not love him, look how cute
he was back in the day, a fox as we said in the 80's)

3 comments:

  1. Just a thought, but last time I fact checked, the author of this blog is employed and should have some sort of income coming into the castle. Correct? So pah-leeze, just for giggles, cash that s.o.b. one day and spend it all on yourself. Now that would be a hoot. And don't come back with the "hobl provides for me" or the "I have what I have and can do what I do bc of HOBL" ... old news and a dead horse. Call me up, you can use my truck, and we'll go buy a beautiful, state of the art, television. For the sake of normalcy! We're talking about the duel income family that canceled the phone service only to get it back a couple of weeks later. Yes, I appreciate the financial savvy and discipline of my hero but sometimes you've got to stop and smell the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait....you missed the point of the blog... He allows me to have all I make for my own personal fun.... but it is never enough to buy a piano so he slides me on the side.... I pay no bills just spend my money on pleasure... do not worry ol' auntie lil has her own check book and her play money, I just prefer spending his for the big things.... I need mines for scrapbooking and such.
    And no there will be no state of the art tv at the riera household, waste of money...

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOBL pays the necessities in life, I consider a tv and a piano a necessity lol

    ReplyDelete