Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

A simple text...

Last night I get a simple text from my dear friend Laurie:
"my friend... the time has come. He has passed.
No more pain and suffering"
A simple text and I am transported back to childhood
and I am sad when I realize that a legend to my
younger life has died.
I was with Laurie and her family last Wednesday
when they got the news that their father, husband
once again had lung cancer.
Even then the doctors had hope that they could
offer some type of treatment that would
at least make him more comfortable if not save his life.
None of this was going to be when Mr. Nolan made
a brave and wise decision to not accept treatment
but to go home with hospice to die.
Laurie and I had a long conversation on Tuesday night
on the very same day he was brought home.
I hope our conversation gave her some peace,
some preparation as to what was to come.
I bragged on hospice and what a great organization
this was, how they treat the whole family
and they would assure that when the time came,
they would help her wonderful daddy with suffering.
She shared that his words were,
"I am not afraid to die I am afraid to suffer"
Twenty three years ago he faced a similar battle
loosing half a lung to the dreaded C word.
I would be lying if I said I was not shocked when
I got the text last night.
I knew he would go quick, 2 weeks to 2 months
but I never expected 2 days.
Once the shock wore off, I realized and still do today
that this too is an AHA moment on AHA week.
A good man's dying wish at 86 years old was answered.
When he said,
"I am not afraid to die, I am afraid to suffer"
it was from his lips to God's ears and THE BIG MAN answered.
As sad and tragic as it is to loose a wonderful man,
it is a prayer answered.
an AHA moment...

2 comments:

  1. God Bless the Adams Family! Hang in there Laurie before to long only the good memories will be remembered.

    GOD BLESS MR. NOLAN!!!!!!

    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another doorway to our past is lost. I didn't know the man but at 86, I know the type. The type that enjoyed talking about growing up in the 20's and 30's. About the war and the 50's. About raising a family in the 60's and 70's. About enjoying retirement throughout the 80's and 90's. We've heard the stories millions of times but our memories won't carry all of them. A door to the past is closed. Now we must create our present to pass on to those coming after us. Another AHa moment. Grieve for your loved one but know a good life was lived.

    ReplyDelete