Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

When God asks, you should always say yes

I love public speaking.
Give me a microphone and an audience and I am there.
I often say when I grow up I want to be a
motivational speaker.
If you read this blog avidly, you will probably remember me
saying this times before.
Yesterday was the day that I was scheduled to talk
at a 10th grade retreat.
The speech was to be about the miracle of my life and
how journaling has helped me document and get through
hard times.
A little background is needed right here.
Lately a good nights sleep is hard to come by.
I sleep but wake up often to find a comfortable position.
Also mornings are the worst and I wake up early
each morning just to get my body ready for a day.
So when weekends come, sometimes I choose to just
stay home and take it easy.
Yesterday was one of those rough mornings where getting
out of bed and getting a move-on was complicated.
It would have been easy to just call my pal, Jeremy
and cancel out on the talk.
Yet, I have this believe that when you are asked to do something
for God you should not say no.
I get my booty moving, take medications to help the body move better
and by 12 noon I am at the gym ready to see my audience.
I am so happy just to see many old faces that I used to work
with at religion. I love these people and miss not being
a part of their program every week.
My audience is 40 10th graders who probably would rather
be anywhere than spending their day talking about God.
I make my life story funny yet full of the miracles that my life is.
As I begin I notice that each are listening, I have them captured.
I then go on for one hour and tell my life story that is
just one big miracle.
I don't plan for exactly what or how I am going to get
my message across because I believe that God will give me
the words that these children need to hear.
Yet, this time I hear myself say something at the end
that I had never added in my speeches before.
This coming from my mouth is more for me than the teens,
who by the way, have been very attentive and a few have even cried.
I end this time with the fact that I am not sure where God is leading
me now on this journey of life that is just one big miracle.
I am afraid for what my future holds and not sure
if I even like it but I know there is a reason for my life
and what happens in it even now.
I know that even with the physical pain I find myself in
and the medical issues that seem to be piling up as I get older,
that God will not leave me, and He has a plan for all of it...
Well didn't I need to hear that this day.
So when God asks, I will continue to say "yes"
because sometimes the lesson is for me.
Today I am energized.
The pain is still there, that has not changed.
What has changed at least for today is
the belief that even this will soon become part of the
story I tell of my life, the story of a miracle.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs. Lilly! I was one of the kids you spoke to at the retreat yesyerday and i just wanted to say that you did an amazing job and your speach had a great impact on me and alot of my friends. I wish you well and just wanted to say that I appreiated the time you took out of your day to share a little bit of you with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job Lil ... the picture is nice too. Look forward to hearing it in Cajun French.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lil, I am so proud of you! I pray for your pain to go away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks to the the first commenter, it means a lot that you would let me know how touched you were by my speech, it is the reason why I continue to do it. BFOB couldn't have used my cajun french because, unfortunately the kids weren't taught it in their schools so they wouldn't have known what I was saying. I should have supported cajun french in schools harder
    ;^)
    Lisa, thanks, as always you words of prayer for me always makes me feel better.
    love to the lot of you!

    ReplyDelete