Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

boogey man


South Louisiana is known for it's ghost stories and
it's boogey men.
When growing up our boogey man had a name,
ROY MEJIA
When speaking to my sisters on Sunday I brought up
the name of our boogey man.
For a period of my childhood when Daddy wanted to scare us
he would add Roy Mejia in the sentence.
I wanted to find out the history behind the legend.
Seems as though sometimes in the late 60's or early 70's
this Roy Mejia murdered someone, no one was sure who
and fled to the back woods of Golden Meadow.
It was said that he was living behind our street where at that
time there was a trash dump as well as a boat launch.
I guess Daddy found this disturbing for some time as we
weren't allowed to play in our favorite woods and dump
but he also used and dropped this name a long time
after Roy Mejia was no longer a threat to us.
"Don't go digging in that dump, if Roy Mejia finds you,
you will never make it home"
"Go to sleep if Roy Mejia hears all that talking he's going to
know there are little girls here and break in"
Yes, some may say this was a sign of mental abuse
but Daddy had his way of getting us to behave and
the Roy Mejia stories worked.
Rosie, Rosie was smart though.
When speaking to her about this certain story she doesn't remember
it the way I do but I insist this is how it happened
and because I am the author and it is my memory I get to
tell it the way I remember it.
Daddy used Roy Mejia stories to keep us from what we called
"The Back"
but he also loved his blackberries so if you told him you were going to pick
blackberries usually no Roy story followed his "be careful warning"
Around the same time of Roy, Rosie found out she had to wear glasses.
Glasses were expensive for my family especially because all of us
Collins kids had bad eyes and required glasses.
Rosie was beautiful and Rosie was vain and she did not want to wear
those glasses. She would always get fussed for not wearing them
and tried many attempts to loose or break them and so
was corrected all the time by Daddy that she had to wear them.
On this particular day she told Daddy she was going to
pick berries for him. The glasses were to accompany her picking.,
"Be careful" No Roy Mejia stories followed her warning.
While there, Rosie, who was made to wear the glasses, probably
was plotting how she could rid herself of this burden.
During this time she came up with a plan.
I remember her coming home that day hot, sweaty, short of breath
and dirty with a bucket of blackberries.
Daddy noticed right away she was not donning her glasses.
"Roseanna, How many times I have to tell you you have to
wear those glasses"
She answered,
"Daddy I had them on, really I did, but I lost them when I started running"
"Running, Roseanna, (he never called her Rosie, always Roseanna)
Why were you running and why didn't you stop and pick up your glasses?"
"Because Daddy, Roy Mejia was chasing me"
Now what could he do with that?
If I remember correctly Daddy stopped using his Roy Mejia threats
after that but he lives in my childhood memories.

7 comments:

  1. I COULD SEE AUNT RO DOING THIS BECAUSE......IT IS SOMETHING I WOULD DO!! HA! I WILL HAVE TO SHOW YOU GUYS A PICTURE OF WHEN I WAS LITTLE....IT AMAZES ME THE SIMILARITIES WITH YOU GUYS! I LOOK AT THIS PIC AND THINK....THATS WHERE I GET THOSE TEETH!!! HA!BY THE WAY, DAYNE HAS INHERITED THOSE TEETH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, myself, am impressed with the cow-lick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, first of all. The picture of me up there with the caption!!! Makes me look like you insenuating that I am the boogie man! Look at those teeth. No wonder I had to wear braces too for for 3 years. LOL. And second and most importantly of all.....This is the true story about how I lost my glasses and if Daddy was here, he would back me up and if Mom could remember she would back me up too(she might, she remembers things from way back then, but not what she had for breakfast or that she was in the emergency room last week, LOL gotta love it!) Coming right up, have to take a lunch break........

    ReplyDelete
  4. awe. Shad bet. Some good homemade white beans and and rice Cynthia made and some BBQ smoked sausage. Anyway...the story goes, yes I did go pick blackberries and no Roy Majia story followed because you see Daddy needed a few more berries so he could start his famous Dee Dee's Blackberry Wine. He needed berries!! The berries made it home, but not the glasses! There I was minding my own business gathering the much needed blackberries when all of a sudden a hail storm began. I'm talking hail as big as golf balls!! So I grab the pail full of blackberries, knowing how bad Dad needed them and being the wonderful Daughter I was, ran home as fast as I could through the woods and vines where the best berries grew. When I got home, yes Lilly, first thing Daddy said was "Rosanna, where's your glasses?" I didn't even notice they were not on my face! For true! I told him I didn't know that I was running in the hail storm and must have lost them. Then the tonad started. I was accused of lying and was punished. Never mind that the Dog gone much needed blackberries made it home. I was pissed! Anyway...Mom and Dad decided to run an ad in the paper offering a reward to anyone who found a pair of glasses in that area. SURE ENOUGH!!!!!! Some lil boy came up with the glasses and said he found them in the exact same place I was blackberry picking!!! The boy was given a crisp Ten ($10) dollar bill and I was given a big apology, a new bicycle and was never made to wear those ugly glasses again. Hence the reason that to this day, I DO NOT WEAR GLASSES OR CONTACTS on a daily basis. I only need glasses to read. LA LA LA!!! I was right AGAIN after all. That's the real story, but I like yours just the same. LOL. Another poor Rosie story. And they call me the gray sheep. No wonder! Love ya Lil Sista!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Rosie, I remember nothing of the version you said....
    Wish Daddy was here to fix this for us. I'm going to ask mom next time to see if I can spark a memory from her...
    What about your retainer stories? After the braces came off?
    and you kept throwing them away and daddy would fuss you and one time you threw them away by accident at the Mr. Cook and you were so afraid to tell daddy you lost another that you checked the whole garbage can to find it? Or is that not the true story either?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay that one was true. But that was to get back at him for the glasses. I hated those retainers too. LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roy Mejia murdered Barbara Verret and her three kids in Berwick, LA on April 13, 1966 with a hammer. He was the nephew of her common law husband Bernardo Mejia. You can find information about the murders on line. We were all terrified when Roy went on the run with the bodies and he dumped them in the marsh of Golden Meadow. He beat them all to death with a hammer. You can see the news paper articles with pictures of Roy, the sheriff and even the hammer he used. I've been researching this and came across your stories.

    ReplyDelete