Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

Coming to terms by getting counseling

On my second day home with a partial bowel obstruction
I find the need to explain why at 47 years old I have
so many medical issues that are so strange and so weird.
Not so much for my readers but for me.
Often when I am coming back from being out of work
people want to know how I am or what was wrong.
The story is so long and complicated.
Most doctors can't understand it so trying to explain
it to people who care about me is exhausting.
Shoot it is exhausting to try and figure it out in my
own head and explain to doctors about
late effects of radiation.
I have blogged about these issues before but have
always been very vague about what exactly is
wrong with me. Mostly because what is wrong with me
is not so easy to diagnose or figure out.
Yet as I continue to meet with my new counselor
and as I explain to her aloud exactly what I have found
out in the last 9 years since my body started showing
signs or problems, It becomes clearer to me as
to what exactly is my life.
As June, the counselor said to me,
"I have never had a client like you but from hearing
you speak I know you will make this a positive thing."
Then at the end she mirrors back to me
"I think what your biggest frustration seems to be that
had someone told you growing up this would be your life
then you would be fine with what is to come but
because it never entered your mind you are at a loss as
to go on when the physical body is not cooperating"
Well, June Oase, I would say you are a pretty good counselor.
She understands that I am not the type who will keep all
of this to myself and sharing with others is how
I handle everything in my life.
However, this problem sometimes makes me sound (to me)
like a hypochondriac to the lay person.
I have to trust that those who love me and have known me
for a long time will realize that this is not my nature
to hide behind an illness and that if I am home it is
only because there is no possible way I can be at work.
Putting my life on a limb always comes with fear
yet I know that sharing my life gives more self-acceptance
than anything else I ever try and because
I am tired of telling the story so often,
time to add it to the blog.
Lilbit of my world.... is about to become lots of my life...
Okay, I just realized this one will be too long...
I think I will break it up into two posts
just not to bore those who may not want to read
the whole story...
Read on the next post...

3 comments:

  1. First TMI -- "on my second day home with medical issues" (would have sufficed) ---- You can make reading a cereal box long and complicated -- Ever thought about the effects of radiation on your marbles? -- Never had a client like you?? (never had an Aunt, Sister, Cousin, Mother, Pal, Nurse like you -- JOIN THE CLUB JUNE-BUG) --- Ahhh nothing like a good blog from a hypocondriac although HOBL and a few others (myself included) would love a good blog from a nymphomaniac but that's for another day -- You mean Lilbit was never lots or you?? Wow ... buckle up world

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaah knew this one would get you uncomfortable BFOB!!!!
    yeah you right it's all about me... it's why I blog it!!!! and to make it a two blog day all about me... hahaha must have taken you two cups of coffee this time.... love you bfob

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and I have been assured that the marbles were not affected by radiation.... so I cannot blame that on the issue at hand...I am just crazy.
    Now just have to figure out if this is genetic or from being a Riera for so long.... that is one we will never know...

    ReplyDelete