Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

I wonder...

I have been spending much time lately thinking of my Kd
and the fact that because of Eskimo that she carries,
I will soon, if all goes well, be a grandmother.
Yesterday my thoughts were all about thinking
of a friend of mine, who after 10 years of marriage, found
herself going through an ugly divorce.
Although she had no
children and she knew the marriage
had to end, what hurt her the most was that her in-laws
from that day acted as though she had never existed.
They erased the 10 years she spent in their lives as though
it had never happened. She cried when she found out
that her ex-husband refused to allow
his parents to contact her and had them get rid of the
wedding pictures. Her ex mother in law, because
the pictures were so nice, just cut her out of the pictures and
saved the album......
I cannot understand how this happens and it makes me wonder...
I have told Kd and baby boy that I would never be able to
do this. I have told them that they must do their best
to assure that their relationship survives all the
bumps and bruises of life because I could never, never
have a life without Kd in it.
From the moment I met her, I knew she would be my
daughter-in-law and from the moment my baby boy made
this an official thing, she was part of us, part of the Riera family.
She will forever be my child, one I share with her real parents
but part of me all the same.
I could never live my life without her in it.
If ever they found themselves in a position that divorce was
evident, I would feel sorry for the next woman baby boy
would love. I would probably accept it because that is how I am,
I would love anyone my children love but
Kd, Kd will always, always be my daughter-in-law.
My life would be incomplete without her in it,
without her family in my life.
Not only does she love my son in the way I wanted for him
but she is my friend, we understand each other and have
the kind of relationship that we can talk about anything.
If she is every unhappy with me she does not hesitate
to get it cleared up and it would be the same if I was
ever unhappy with her.
I love spending time with her like I love spending time
with my babies and when I don't see her as often as I'd like
I long for her, like yesterday, I wished she would have
been off to eat gumbo with us.
I love that I can get her excited and "on board' to all these
family gathering antics I make up in my head like
pumpkin carving, which is coming up soon.
Erasing her from my life can never happen and so
I pray for their marriage and am so proud of how
they work on their relationship and how well
the get along. I love this girl as I love my babies
and forever she will be my daughter-in-law.
I am glad that I am not the type of person who
can erase years off my life as though they never existed.
I love you Kd and am honored that you will be
the mother of my grandchildren, I will never have
to worry about these children with a mother such as you.

4 comments:

  1. Its so nice to hear a Mother-In-Law say something like that, but like your friend, my Mother-In-Law NEVER gives us the time of day. She doesn't even call her son on his birthday. The only was we see them is if we go to her house. She isn't even in Alexis' life. I think she is the one missing out on this wonderful little girl, not I. It's a shame how some people can be so self centered and mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I will never have
    to worry about these children with a mother such as you." It's the paternal grandfather I'd worry about! As well as the paternal second cousin - in law. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand how Grandparents can turn their backs on their own Grandchildren. I could never for I love these Grandchildren with all my heart. The love you have for your spouce and your children is incrediable but when these little grandchildren comes alone it is completely different. I didn't spend the time I should have with my children as they were growing up because to keep our heads above water I had to work and I missed a lot of things that I can never get back and for this I have always felt bad. I didn't have much help when my kids were little because my Mother had children the same age as mine. I realized this so I always said I would give my girls as much help with their children as I could. You just wait Lil, your life is about to change and you will see exactly what I mean by this commet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe I'm just getting to read this! I love you too mumsie! You're so sweet, you have me crying now. Haha ass!
    I feel the exact same about you, thank you for making it so easy to be a part of yalls family! You welcomed me with open arms from the very first day(well very first date bc you & jesi got to come with us haha. Very awkward/nervous first date) & you've been there for me ever since!
    I love you! & I do miss being able to just drive 20 min to hang out!

    ReplyDelete