Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

waking with Gina B. on my mind...

So because Gina is on my mind, time for another
Aha Gina moment...
When the diagnosis of ALS was new, fresh
all who love her were going through these
stages of grief.
For some time there was the denial stage.
We all wanted to pretend this was a mistake.
This would have made the whole thing easier for me,
to be able for a few weeks pretend it wasn't so,
but I just never doubted that our Gina B. had ALS.
Through this time I had thoughts almost every day
that I had to be the one to explain to her that
the denial thing was not going to help her because
of the fact that this part of grief was slowing down
the medical help she should be getting.
However, how do you tell this to someone?
I was stressing big time about the meeting that had to take place.
During this time HOBL and I took BFOB and his family
to eat at one of our favorite places, the Half Shell
and who is sitting there with her little family but Gina B.'s
sister, Kia. The whole meal all I can think of is that I have
to talk to Kia. I have to tell her the dilemma I am in.
As we are leaving I get the courage to sit there and
as Kia tells me all that is happening and how maybe Gina B.
doesn't have ALS, I say it.
"Kia, don't ask me how but I have to tell you, your sister has ALS"
She looks at me and says you have to tell her.
I know, I know but how do you tell a friend you love so darn much
who is grasping for different answers than the ones she was given
that she has the worst possible diagnosis?
I share this with Kia but I now know, no matter what, I have to do it.
I believe this was on a Wednesday.
I begin praying for God to help me.
My prayers are all about please, please tell me how to do this.
That Sunday, HOBL and I decide it is time to tackle our yard.
It has overgrown from the winter and our flowerbeds need
some TLC. I am thinking it is going to be a long day but
something I love to do.
As I step out of my house with my protein peanut butter sandwich
in my hand..... yes there across the street is my Gina B. and Perry.
She jumps right out of that car and literally God planted her
in my front yard!!!
She and Perry had been looking at the house for sale across the street.
Okay, now how can you call this a coincidence....
I prayed for guidance and the Big Man planted her in my front yard!!
Still freaks me out when I think about how this happened.
I waste no time giving her loving right in my front yard,
and I tell her, " Gina we have to meet, I have things that I feel
God wants me to tell you and I am coming to your house this week
but the main thing I have to tell you right now..."
We make eye contact I am holding her shoulders,
"Gina, you have Lou Gehrig's"
She nods her head and says she knows. She is finally
coming to the realization and my confirmed words tells her it's true.
You see Gina B. and I have had so many AHA moments that we
both know the Big Man works through the two of us.
I am sad but I am also relieved because the task is finally done
and that night I sleep well for the first time in a few nights.


3 comments:

  1. Lil, I am praying for Gina B. and her family. I am also praying for you and her other friends who love this very special person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks lisa, that means a lot and since many of her family follow the blog, they will also know... love you big!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lilly,

    This is awesome. I am Gina's sister in law, Ty's wife. Here is a post I wrote in the early days of diagnosis.

    http://mommassocalledlife.blogspot.com/2010/01/to-you-from-me.html

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete