Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fall, how I love thee...


The crisp, dry air is one I love.
Cool days are coming.
When I walk out in the morning and feel the coolness
my mind wanders back to days of having young ones.
Halloweens and leaf piles for jumping.
Early evening indoors playing games.
PJ's on by 5:30pm.
For my boys, hunting excitement fills the air.
I have never liked hunting myself but
do have the excitement when the boys go
hunting to see what a day will bring them home with.
When newly married, hunting meant a few hours each
weekend for myself as HOBL played in the swamps.
Even back then as a newlywed I treasured my
time for myself. When the babies got old enough
to hunt with their deda, it meant a few hours
of freedom without little ones in tow.
Halloween has always been a special time in the
Riera home. Each year it called for a party
in our old stomping ground of Tarpon Heights.
Some of our best memories were made at these parties.
I would make a huge chili and everyone in the family
would come and bring the candy.
Living in a subdivision of Tarpon Heights,
there were so many trick-or-treaters that
making the chili was cheaper than buying the treats.
Fun was had by all on those long Halloween nights
in a neighborhood that it was more like a block party.
Enjoy the cool days of fall because soon the
freezing winter will be here and I am sure
I will be complaining. For now, loving the Fall.

1 comment:

  1. I always say this is my favorite time of the year. Now through Thanksgiving up until a few days before Christmas. After Christmas it gets depressing because I realize it's another 9 months before I get back to my favorite time again. The days are slowly getting shorter and the dry air means the angle of the sun is changing and you can see it in the light. It's a different light than in July. High school football rules on Friday, college on Saturday and the NFL on Sunday. My dog starts growing a little thicker coat that makes him appear just a tad bit "tougher" although we all know he's a pecan. Halloween this year will be spent in the dome as the Steelers come to town. I might dress up as Garret Hartley this year since we both can't kick a field goal. As you said, fall means preparing for hunting season. I remember cutting roseau's (which I dispised) then building my duck blind (which was termed the Holiday Inn) that was so big you could almost park a yacht in it. Now it's trimming branches around the deer stand and planting small food plots. One thing about fall in my family is the birthdays ... we got a bunch in the fall. From September 2 to December 16 we have 8 birthdays which means parties and presents. So, Lilana from Galliana via Golden Meadow, I too love the fall.

    ReplyDelete