Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Where were you?

The bombing of the New York towers is one of those moments
like when President Kennedy was assassinated.
No one will ever forget where and what they were doing
when the tragedy took place.
That morning I was on my usual routine for my work day,
I was at Lady Of the Sea Hospital picking up supplies
to bring to Dr. Hutchinson's office where I was going to
work all day as a clinic nurse.
As I walked into the lobby I found many employees watching
the TV. Some were crying and I asked what was going on.
The news became clear that we were being attacked.
Attacked on our own soil....
I drove to Golden Meadow trying to grasp exactly what
this meant. Why? Why? Why?
At our clinic it was more of the same.
We, the employees discussed how to handle this today
on what was supposed to be just an average work day.
The decision was made that we were going to try and keep our
day as normal as we could for the patients coming in
who needed our services. We kept the TV on in Hutch's
office and kept up the best we could on the happenings.
I was in the process of checking in patients when I
checked in one of our favorite elderly patients
from Grand Isle. He was teary-eyed and I could tell
he had been crying for some time.
He was battling cancer on that day and being the kind
of touchy-feely nurse that I am, I hugged him like I did
every time he came for a visit.
This morning he hugged me especially long and cried.
We walked into an exam room and I knew I had to address
this bombing with him.
As I began to talk he looked me straight in the eye with
tears streaming down his face.
He said to me that day words I will never, ever forget
and words that are the first thing I think of each 9/11.
"LITTLE GIRL, I FOUGHT TWO WARS, TWO WARS
SO THAT YOU, OUR CHILDREN WOULD NEVER, NEVER
HAVE TO SEE THIS"
These words are what brought this whole tragedy into perspective
for me, told me that our world will never be the same again.
USA, home of the free because of the brave
What were you doing on this day nine years ago?


4 comments:

  1. I remember this day in my mind like it was yesterday. Nine years ago on this day, I stayed by myself for the first time with my 11 day old baby girl (dominique) and my 23 month old baby girl (angelique). It was a very scary and emotional day for me and became my obsession for several weeks. At 9:46 when the first tower was hit, we were watching the usual morning shows. I was devistated and crying uncontrollable. When the second tower was hit, that was my finishing point. I called Gilbert at work, and told him he needed to come home now. He tried to calm me down but when he realized he couldn't he decided to come home to check on us. When he arrived home, I was sitting on my rocker in the corner crying with both girls in my arms. I remember thinking that if we were going to die we would do it together. Gilbert came home and we decided that the girls would sleep in our room. They have been in our bed everyday after that day, and even still today they sleep with us.

    Thanks to all who have fought to keep us all safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at work when the nextel phone beeped and a voice came on and said a plane hit a building in New York. I got back home around 9:30 and watched the buildings fall. I went back to work then came home and watched the news for what seemed like 4560 hours straight. I'd go from Fox to CNN back to Fox back to CNN then every now and then to MSNBC.

    I wish the broadcasts would have been in Cajun French.


    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sitting at my desk at Offshore Towing, Inc. when I received a call from Rebecca. I'll never forget her words and the sound of her voice, "MOM A PLANE JUST WENT THRU ONE OF THE TWIN TOWERS!" I knew in her voice that she was scared and I asked where Mikie was. After that my two other girls, Tiffany and Titania, called. We then shut all accounting down and went to the kitchen to watch TV and there we stayed until we were told to go home and be with our families. I left Larose and drove to each of my girls houses. They were all Ok under the circumstances so I went home. Unlocked my door put the TV on and sat on my chair and cried my eyes out. Lil I did think about Dad who went thru so much pain at the end of his life so this would not happen to us. I thought of how he would have felt going thru this and for an instant I was happy he wasn't here to see it

    GOD BLESS OUR AMERICA AND THE PEOPLE WHO PROTECT IT AS MUCH AS THEY CAN!!!!

    ReplyDelete