Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Today's blog is long time coming and still I am nervous to write it

(Gina B. is the second from the left, the first bear)
My friend, Gina B. is suffering from ALS, better known as
LOU GEHRIG'S DISEASE
I am enraged about this but since her confirmed diagnosis
in December, I finally have come to the acceptance, as she has,
that she has this mean, mad disease.
While visiting her on Friday she has given me permission
to begin to blog about her life and this has me nervous.
Nervous because as my baby boy said in passing one day,
"Mom sometimes "lilbitofmyworld" is a lot about other
people's worlds. I try and always get permission from
the subject when it will be deep.
When Gina B. was diagnosed I told her she had to begin
writing and journaling, to leave a legacy to all of us
so we can learn from this fantastic woman how you go
on with life when given such a cold disease.
She reminded me Friday that now, because her upper body
has been attacked and she struggles with use of it,
she can't do this so I have been given approval to write for her.
This is an important job and I want to do right and honor to her
so I am nervous about the whole thing
but her story is one that needs to be told because
never have I seen a more gracious person accept such a disease
with grace and acceptance. Acceptance didn't come right away,
it was a process but she refuses to allow ALS to "have her"
as she bravely stated through her whispered slurred voice"
"I have ALS but ALS does not have me"
There are so many stories I already need to write in reference to
this wonderful woman so many, many days will be
dedicated to these stories on the blog.
Today is the beginning and I just want to say this,
the statement:
BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE
has never been so true to me as it has been since Gina B.
was diagnosed with ALS.
This woman is a 53 year old special education teacher
with many, many years of all kinds of teaching under her belt.
She not only teaches, she loves each child she touches.
Her loss at work has been all our loss, especially the children
she was meant to teach in the future.
She has 4 beautiful, respectful children who love their mother so
much and will do anything for their mother in this battle.
Her husband Perry is a gentle soul who is struggling with his
own battle of acceptance. To watch his strong, beautiful, vivacious
wife become dependent on him has been something he never
envisioned yet he does all that is asked of him, many things that
is never asked and is so, so gentle with his Gina B.
She has a big, extended family such as me.
I hope over the course of blogging about she and I's AHA moments,
and we have had a few, right Gina B?
all will realize
just how wonderful this woman is and I don't just say that
but mean it. She is one of a kind,
facing her battles without hiding them so the world can
learn, "This is how you handle tragedy if God is first"
I love my Gina B. and made her a promise that I will
blog for her what I see in hopes that her story is told in
a way that gives her honor, her family the honor they deserve.
I pray to my God that I can live up to this.

4 comments:

  1. If you haven't read the book, "Tuesdays With Morrie" by Mitch Albom, read it today. I'm not an avid reader but every now and then I do read a book or two. Mitch Albom was and still is on ESPN's sports reporters which I used to watch religiously in college. So I figured, a sports reporter should provide a good read. I read the book when it first came out back in my "younger" days. I don't recommend much, but I recommend this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, Love, LOve this! She will be proud!






    b

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes I have read Tuesday's with Morrie many, many times and thought about that book right when I heard of Gina B's diagnosis. It is one of the most touching books I have ever read, a true story of a man who lived through ALS. A must read for anyone who loves Gina B. I own the book and have given it as a gift many times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you have stated is so true. She is a wonderful person and I pray for her and her family at this difficult time. My girl was touched by her love for children when asked to assist a child in the morning before school and that taught my girl to love all no matter what their challenges are in life. Thanks Gina and Lilly

    ReplyDelete