Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Four funerals

Four different families prepare
four individual funerals in our community
while their children will be forever linked together.
I am speaking of the tragic accident of this
weekend that took the lives of four teenagers
from Vanderbilt Catholic.
My human mind does not want to think about it,
too painful but my parent mind can think of nothing else.
Baby girl and her bestie, Meagan and were discussing it
yesterday and I shared that I do not know if I would
want to continue living if I was faced with this
in my life. It's because I don't know how you do go on.
Yeah, I can talk of my God and how God gets you through
things like that but really, when tragedy is so fresh
I am not sure this is comforting to a parent right away.
I can barely read the Comet article and just like my
thoughts I am pulled to reading every detail.
If you have teenagers or young adults, you can relate to
the beginning of the story.
Your child is going to an outing with friends.
Right at first, you are happy for them, not about to say no.
They need this new found independence, a chance to do things
on their own. Your heart wants to say no but you know
this is selfish. You are thankful for cell phones and texting
because you know that at least you can keep in touch with
your child through the whole adventure.
The four sets of parents probably watched the LSU game
excited that their child was there.
There will be no sleep for the parents as the children start
their trip home. If they were like me, they laid on the sofa, waiting.
At 1:00 am the phone call comes that they are almost home.
I believe the call was made from the driver to his mother.
I know she had to be relieved because I have been there.
Just a few more minutes and her child will walk through
the door and be filled with stories of his adventure.
The mother will be proud of him but most importantly of herself
because she went against what she really wanted to do and hold
him back. Yet, at 3 am, they still were not home.
I know what her mind went through as well as the rest of the parents
because I too have played the mind games when a child is missing
even if for a few hours. By this time she has to notify the rest of
the parents who I am sure were not resting any better than her.
They begin their own search for their babies.
Finally the police get involved and after a few hours their
vehicle is found submerged upside down in water.
All four teens are still in the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene.
I want to change this, I do not want this to be the reality these
families face these days. It is too painful.
Forever they will question, what were the last few minutes of
their lives like.
I don't want to be morbid but I will say just what all are thinking.
What did they do in those moments before they died.
Were they killed on impact, did they try and escape?
As baby girl said, what did they say to each other as they probably
felt they would be rescued.
I want them to have died on impact, I hope the autopsies shows
that there was not words spoken because they couldn't speak.
The parents and close loved ones will replay this in their heads
forever, "What were their last minutes like"
and the answers to this is enough to want to die because
they will never know.
Although there is no easy way to go on and accept this,
finding that they did not know their fate, would help
everyone involved.
BG and I spoke of how hard it was when we all lost Robert
and he was just one. Four children, four friends to be lost
at the same time, it is wrong.
I tell teens and young adults, be safe, please...
Many times I have been in that limbo that there has been
no call or knowledge as to where your child is in the early hours
of the morning. I fussed about it so much that now BG at least
sends me a text often as to where she is.
After this accident I know she will be better about letting
me know her where-abouts all the time.
I think she understands how a parents mind wonders to
places unimaginable in that short time until we know
where our babies are.
"What if they were in an accident?"
"what if someone has taken them and is hurting them?"
The games our minds play when our babies whereabouts are not known.
For these parents, 4 sets, their worst nightmare has come true.
They will not only have to attend their own child's funeral
but three others that would be the best friends of their child.
Nothing good about this and as I said earlier, all wrong.
God bless all who are affected by this accident
that ended in the very worst scenario imaginable.
God bless the school of Vanderbilt Catholic who
somehow have to teach a positive lesson to their students
knowing that there is no good in all of this.
God bless the students of the school who unfairly now
will never look at their high school years without remembering
this tragedy.
God bless the adults who somehow have to help these children
when they need help of their own to understand.
God bless the parents and the families. There is
nothing that I can write here that will not sound generic or vague.
Last but not least, God bless our whole community,
it is not supposed to happen like this and yet,
sometimes it does, unfairly.

No comments:

Post a Comment