Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

giving up on White...

( The picture doesn't have much to do with the blog, I just like it)
Don't get your panties in a bunch.
I am blogging about giving up on edible whites.
As every Monday, I find myself yesterday coaching
into the fact that this Monday will be the one that I:
"Change my eating habits"
"Not diet but change my way of life"
"give up the desserts and sweets"
"Eat healthy and exercise"
Yeah, yeah, Yeah, just like many of us
I always have to begin my positive life on a Monday.
Usually by Oprah time I am done but not this week.
I am more determined than ever.
My niece, Lisa sends me this awesome, easy to follow
food plan. Six pages of simple to follow rules
that has helped her change her eating patterns.
It is simple, nothing that any of us have never heard before,
yet when put together in 6 pages it is like an AHA moment.
As I read, I think
"Well, I can do this"
Then I begin to really read:
IF IT IS WHITE YOU CANNOT HAVE IT
What no white to the potato queen of Golden Meadow?
Everyone knows that creamed, fried, au'gratin...
potatoes, they are my favorite!!!!!
Okay so maybe I can do it for a week.
Wait... no rice?!!! Rice is the staple of a Cajun life.
What is beans without rice, oh and I can't have beans either...
Fricassee' without white rice....
Oh on to the fruits...
at least I can have some fruits, I like me some watermelon...
Yet what are the fruits to avoid?
"NO BANANAS, MANGO'S, GRAPES, OR WATERMELON"
Ugh, there goes my very favorite ones...
I write this all jokingly because what Lisa gave me is
a little gemstone. Six pages of something that any of us can do
with a little will-power and just like
it takes two weeks of continuous doing to make a habit,
it takes two weeks of not doing it to break that same habit.
I began yesterday by making a trip to the grocery store.
I leave my favorite Evangeline Maid white bread on the
shelf and substitute with 100% wheat.
I pass the vegetable crates filled with my potatoes
and place the vegetables that are recommended,
cabbage and cucumbers.
I then go to the rice aisle. The brown rice goes in
and I pet the white morsels I am so used to.
Yesterday was a good day and what did I find out?
Brown rice is not really any different than my favorite white.
Really, when eating the low-fat pepper steak I made for supper
I could not tell that there was no white rice in there.
What else?
Wheat bread still is good, especially when I spread my
favorite protein, peanut butter on it.
I am happy with the way I have done these last two days.
It really isn't so hard until nighttime comes and I crave
my oreos and milk....
but I know two weeks without it and the habit should be
broken.
Thanks Lisa, for the simple explanation of how I should be eating.
Now if i could just make the E word (exercise)
part of my new habit...

5 comments:

  1. 2 words ... nutri-system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Lil! You are quite welcome! I know it is hard at first and I have never had much will power when it comes to carbs and chocolate. But I finally started this new way of life and I lost 16 pounds since school started. I eat wheat bread and rice but I can't get used to the pasta. When I am hurgry at night, I have another spoon of peanut butter and/or yogurt. Every now & then I have a plain cheeseburger, chips, and chocolate. I have just learned to eat in moderation for once! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Ronnies got a diet plan, but I can't reveal it here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncle Ronnie doesn't practice his rated R diet plan often enough, hence why his cholesterol is high....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and BFOB... is that Nutri-system or Nutra system? Because BAby boy, he has been catching some nutra in his "humane trap" right before he puts a bullet in "em.... If there is a low fat meat in a nutra, I am sure baby boy could keep me supplied...

    ReplyDelete