Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

It is what we are called to do at moments like this

What started out as being just a few school friends I miss
to come over this afternoon has turned into a group of
people who will gather at my home this afternoon
for friendship, to celebrate the wonderful life
of our dear friend, Gina B.
It is what she would want, she would want us to
all comfort each other, hang out and remember
all the funny things that have happened to us
with her over the last years.
So this afternoon a group of us are going to
gather for coffee, soft drinks and snacks that I am going
to bake because we need this.
It is the beginning of a new lease on my life that
I have been planning. Even before Gina B.
left to call Heaven home, I had decided that a new
calling I have is to be responsible to spend more
time with the ones I love even if it means
that I cook and have them to my house.
We, in the busy, busy world have lost the talent
of just slowing down to spend time with people.
I remember as a little girl that on any given day
after school my home had visitors.
My dad always had a pot of coffee ready and started supper
at about 3:00pm so if you were still there when
supper was cooked you ate supper too.
Our home didn't need an invitation to visit,
everyone knew you could come anytime and people came.
There was no reason not to, homework was simple enough
that kids could do it on their own and it wasn't so much that
it took hours to do. There was no Biddy or soccer practice
to drive your children to and if there was something after
school that your children had to attend, it was safe to leave
them there alone until it was time to pick them up.
The world has changed but I am about to change another
part. I want my home filled with people and family that I love.
If I am not able to return to work after all of this is said and done,
My home will have an open door policy as my family home did.
No call needed, I am going to have some type of flag system going.
If you ride by and the flag is out, you can stop,
If the flag is not out, not a good day to visit.
I have a new mission, a new calling and it is a selfish one.
I need people, always have.
So today we gather to celebrate the wonderful life of our Gina B.
If you are reading this and thinking,
"Well I wasn't invited" you are now.
Come by even if just for a minute because today, all are invited.
An open door today. Some days I may have more intimate
gatherings but today, our dear Gina B. would want us to gather
and laugh and that is what I am planning.
See you guys this afternoon and don't say no,
life is way, way too short!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I need your phone number... I have a VA appt tomorrow in Houma - I was thinking about swinging through Thib. maybe and seeing my good friend...if we are both feeling up to it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monday we "all" lost a beautiful and precious soul in Gina B. But,today,thru the warm welcome and hugs from Lilly, I felt the presence and love of Gina. Showing up,unexpectedly,on Lilly's doorstep, as a stranger no less...I was invited into her home to share in a few minutes of talk of our Gina B. As I expected from reading her blog,Lilly is the real thing..a true child of God. Thanks Lilly for sharing a little of your time with this stranger. I know I have made a new friend for life! See you tomorrow night.

    Becky (p.s. the banana nut bread was awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awhhh, Becky, that was such a touching gift of kindness for you to find me! You were the blessing as I needed the welcome of a new friend as well as the evening with my friends this evening as we shared of love of our Gina B....

    ReplyDelete