Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

IT'S NOT EVERY DAY YOU TURN 92

On October 1st my Uncle Luke turned 92.
Yesterday our family was invited to my cousin, Chris' house
here in Thibodaux to celebrate.
Because the rest of the siblings were all tied up I was
fortunate enough to be the one to take Mumsie to
be with her brother.
It could not have come at a better time since
lately she has been talking a lot about him and
saying she misses him and has been dreaming about him.
My cousins didn't tell Uncle Luke that Mumsie was coming,
she was the surprise and just like each time they are together,
he got teary-eyed when he saw her and they hugged like
they hadn't seen each other in years.
They were so cute together, if he sat in the kitchen, she sat
in the kitchen. If he sat to watch the Saints game, she did also.
Probably just like the little children they were, she was
the baby sister, the tag-a-long.
My second and third cousins, Uncle Luke's grandchildren
and great grandchildren were there to share the day.
This picture shows Celeste dragging little Luke down
the steps because he didn't want to join in the blessings.
He reminds me much of our Owen.
Father Dean came to celebrate and so our blessing
was extra special.
Uncle Luke does 92 really well.
I hope if I got their genetic make up that I carry it as
well as he does.
90 and 92, 182 years between the both of them.
They are so darn cute together.
Uncle Luke asks Mumsie,
"What happened to your hair"
"My hair?" she asks, "What is wrong with my hair?"
"It's all white"
Mumsie in her cute sassy voice,
"Huh, at least I have hair"
My cousin, Chris who is also principal of St. Genevieve
Catholic school also has this awesome house and yard.
A home she and her husband, Jimmy and the daddy's built
to look like an old Cajun home.
I was in love with the scenery.
This is an old storage building that they had moved there.
It would be my dream home if it were on the lake where
I will spend my retirement years.
Her greenhouse is made all of old window panes, lovely,
simply lovely...
I always tease my Uncle Luke that I am his favorite
niece and he always goes along with the joke...
so maybe it's true.
We are never together where he doesn't share
an Uncle Freddie, my daddy, story.
Yesterday the story is
Uncle Freddie he was a special kind of man.
Often he would tell my Uncle Luke,
"Luke, those kids of mine, they drive me crazy,
but I love them, each and every one of those
kids of mine"
What a great day it was.

1 comment:

  1. If you're ever at 8:00 am mass is Golden Meadow, and you happen to be sitting at the end when Uncle Luke passes with the basket, put money in it! If you don't, he will stand there and shake it in front of you until a deposit is made. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience.

    ReplyDelete