Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

Iberville parish an A plus

Since moving here to Iberville parish, I have been 
pleasantly surprised on all they do for us.
My whole life I have only lived in Lafourche parish so
I have nothing else to compare it to but they
do things for us that I never had done in Lafourche Parish.
Every few months there is something on our front door 
handle from the parish.
One time is was a magnet with emergency numbers,
another time a kitchen gadget.
I have received phone calls to explain the garbage pick up
during holidays  so you know exactly when your trash will be picked up.
I have had phone calls about bad weather and tornado watches.
Last night, however, I was not prepared for just how serious they
take their jobs to keep this little town safe.
HOBL was so tired from the travels back from Alaska so we
were in bed early. I have gotten used to sleeping with the wall 
of window blinds in my bedroom open.
I woke up around 1 am sure I had heard the door bell ring.
I asked HOBL If he heard it and he said no that I must 
have been dreaming but i knew it was the doorbell but
just figured maybe he was right.
I tried to go back to sleep but within minutes there is 
a man in our backyard shining a flashlight right in our bedroom windows.
HOBL jumps out the bed, just in his underwear,
"HEY, HEY, what you doing"
We hear the words, "POLICE"
 I freaked, scrambled to find my robe to get to the front door,
as HOBL searched for his pants.
I run to the front door to open to two cop cars and three
police men. They inform us that someone from this address had
called 911. It was not enough to tell them it was just us two and
we had been sleeping. They came in to make sure we were really okay.
As I think of this, I am impressed with the fact that they just had to 
come in and make sure we weren't being held hostage or anything.
Once they called back to the office and checked our number with the call
that came in, they apologized for having the wrong home.
I could have been upset for the scare as the first thing a momma thinks
when police are at their house at that time is something happened to
a family member. I almost died in the seconds it took to get to the door 
to find out they were not there to tell me one of my children were in an
accident or bad news.
Instead, I was impressed, Then I turn to see HOBL, 
wrapped around his waist, a blanket and nothing else.
He could not find his pants. This still cracks me up,
Three policemen in my home, making sure we okay and my
dear HOBL wrapped in a blanket explaining he could not find
his pants. Everytime I think of the story I chuckle with the image of it.
I am so glad I was not alone. Not sure how that would have been,
a man in my backyard with a flashlight...
Probably was not the smartest way to search a home as someone
else may have shot someone in their backyard like this.
They did say who they were right away but they could have been anybody.
All in all, it was nice to know they were taking care of us as we sleep.
Koodo's to Iberville parish and the 911 system
as well as the police department.

1 comment: