Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

how happy these make me...

 Every morning I begin my day with a cup or two of coffee, 
sitting on the sofa with my pups and checking my emails.
When I see one from the Manor or Natalie, the event coordinator,
those I open first.
This morning I am so happy to see these.
 Since Christmas we all have been a little concerned about Momma,
her weight loss, how forgetful she is, how bad
her dementia is, how confused she gets when not 
at the manor. We made some changes, decluttered her
apartment, added a real twin bed instead of just the
sleeper sofa so that we could be comfortable 
when staying there if she needs us or gets sick.
We have decided that removing her from the manor
for more than a day make us feel better but confuses
her so much that we won't be doing it anymore.
We have made these changes knowing that with
each year that passes, is one less year we have with her.
So this morning, to get these pictures from Natalie,
and I smile big and I almost want to cry with gratitude.
For the love these people who are not family give to our momma.
She is not just a resident there, she is a person, a human being,
who is entertained by the things they set up for her to do.
Every once in a while, I get scared for her,
and then I see this and am so, so, so thankful 
for this place called St. Joseph Manor.
So thankful that our dear mother is able to live there.
So thankful that my daddy fought in a war to 
protect our country and because of this my Mom is
protected by an extra check from the government that makes
this place possible for her.
To be 92 and still have the quality of life she has
and to have people who surround her when we cannot and love
her as their own, well its just all so special.
I call her every morning. Every morning,
I get this cheerful, happy, strong voice saying,
"HELLO?" 
always like a question, always sounding like a very young woman.
You would never be able to tell that she is still 
in bed sleeping by the cheerfulness in her voice.
We are so blessed, my dear siblings, my dear family.


2 comments:

  1. I told Kris the other day when I saw these on Facebook that Mommie is a star over there!! lol I like to follow The Manor on Facebook so I can keep up with her. It seems that whenever they post pictures from something they did there Mommie is always front and center in it haha I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, Kaylee, I don't think she misses much that goes on in the Manor and if any of you are not following the manor on Facebook, please do! Natalie updates it and adds pictures all the time and Kaylee is right, Mommee usually in most of them.

    ReplyDelete