Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

Develyn, my hero!

(written with dev's permission)
Let me give a little history here.
My oldest sister, Simone and I are 23 years apart.
Therefore, when I was a child she was married and had
Guy, my nephew.
She married my brother-in-law, Joe who's family
was from Donaldsonville.
We spent much time there when I was a kid growing up.
You see, they lived on this old plantation land and home
owned by Joe's family.
It was huge and one of my very favorite places to visit as a child.
There was acres and acres of land to run and across the street
from the old beautiful main house was the levee and
the Mississsippi river.
We spent much time there and had many many wonderful memories
of growing up and playing in this wonderful place.
On this small heaven much of Joe's family had homestead on
the property and one of those was Joe's brother, Lewis.
Lewis had this most beautiful little girl named Develyn.
She is my nephew, Guy's first cousin and they ran around
on this property as siblings.
I remember her so much because she was beautiful.
One of those babies and little girls that you had
to stare at because she was eye-stopping.
She was also a good little playmate.
Because I had many nieces and nephews, at that time
even though I was young myself I just thought
of Develyn as one of my own nieces.
Things didn't go well in her parents marriage and
She and her mom moved off the family property and
just like all as we grow up, we all lost touch.
I asked about her as a grown up but never really
had seen her since she was a little girl.
So I was very happy a few months ago when I found her
on facebook and we befriended each other.
Surprisingly, she remembered me.
So that is the history.... now for the story.
This beautiful vibrant, wonderful woman is battling
cancer again for the second time.
Six years ago she had breast cancer and like the trooper she is
she battled that, moved on and lived her life with her
boyfriend, Jeff. She never could have her own children
but helped Jeff with his own and I must say from
what I see, these children were like her own.
In August, Dev began to have lots of pain and
went to the doctor to find out that her cancer was
not only back but widespread to her bones.
Like the trooper she was, even though the news was
not so promising she just knew that this would and could be
beat..... then in September the miracle that she never
did believe could happen....
Develyn, the beautiful, vibrant Develyn found out that
she and her wonderful love of her life, Jeff was going to
have a baby! Yes pregnant for the first time in her life
and battling cancer....
Her miracle is due in May and as I spoke with her on
facebook she has told me that the plans are low dose chemo.
for her until the baby is old enough to be born when
they will then take her miracle from her body so they
can begin high dose chemo. to get her in remission.
I have never seen such faith in a woman as in Develyn
and her Jeff.
I believe this woman will find remission.
I do not believe God would give her this beautiful child
if he did not believe she would be there to be her momma.
Pray for our Dev and her family as this has to be
hard for all involved.
Follow her Caring bridge site and leave her messages of love.
Develyn, this Collins family is on your side.
You will be the miracle just as your little baby.
Love to all of you guys.
www.caringbridge.org/visit/develynlee

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of Develyn's illness and I agree that God would not place one of his angels in a family where the Mother is not able to care for the child. Lots and lots of prayers and good wishes, Develyn, from us all!!
    Love,
    Celena

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely lady - she is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lily-

    Just now reading this! You are a beautiful soul! I'm going to have my Mom look for all of our old pictures from you, Donnie, Kevin, and everyone else watching Guy & I play in the kiddie pool together & get them uploaded!

    Thank you for ALL of your amazing love and support!!

    Love you-

    Develyn

    ReplyDelete