Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

HARRY POTTER CRAZE AND BABY GIRL

The Harry Potter craze began when baby girl was in 4th grade.
A 10 year old girl, there was so much hype and talk
of the Catholic faith that we should not let our
children read it, I did my parental duty
and read the first book.
I could not find what baby girl found in it but I decided
that there was nothing in the book that I should keep
from my baby girl.
As I said to others who could not believe I was letting baby girl
read the JK Rowling book, It was no worse
than Wizard of Oz in our day and anything that gave
my children the love of reading could not be bad.
From that moment on, my baby girl, she was hooked.
I thank J.K. Rowling and Potter for my BG's love of reading
for it was in this series of books that she truly learned
the love of a good book.
Although I read the first book and brought baby girl
to see the Potter movies before she could take herself,
I never became obsessed or loved Harry the way BG did.
11 years later, the girl still calls the Potter series one
of the best things in her life.
In many ways she is like me.
When she loves something she knows all about it.
For instance, she knows the whole life of J.K. Rowling-
how before she sold her first book, she was a single
parent who was poor and wrote the beginning of
the first book in a coffee shop on napkins as her
children played beside her.
You do not want to get in a Potter war with BG
because you will loose, she knows everything about
each of the 7 books and at least once a year she
reads all 7 books again. Many nights I awaken
to find her on the sofa with a Potter book in her hands.
So it is no surprise that BG was going to be at
The Palace at midnight to see the opening of
the newest Harry Potter movie.
She dragged her new friend, Drew there with
her who I don't think shares the love of Potter
but seems to be a good sport all the same.
So yesterday afternoon the girl is giddy with excitement.
I mean she is the 10 year old girl again who first
fell in love with Potter, just knowing she was going to
the midnight movie.
She begins this big explanation with me about
Potter and what each book means and I just
shake my head and say,
"BG, I don't understand the concept and I don't
know what you are talking about, I don't share the love"
Well, I could have just punched her and it wouldn't have
hurt her more. She wants me to love Potter like
she wants me to love Lady GaGa but I just don't.
So I make her a promise yesterday afternoon.
I say to her,
"You know what? While I am laid up, I will read all the
Potter books so we can have these conversations,
I will read from the first and then we will watch
the first movie and I will do this until all 7 are read"
OMG!!!! I have never seen a young adult so excited
and resort back to a 10 year old.
I swear I think she had tears in her eyes.
She is so excited she goes right into the attic and pulls
all her Potter books right away from where they are stored
until she get a bookcase for her room.
I have made BG a happy, happy, girl.
Because I can read many books at one time,
I am reading 4 right now consecutively,
I begin book one last night as she prepares to go to
the movies. She even wears her hair curly like
Hermoine since many say she looks much like the
main girl in the Potter series.
I must say this time around I an intrigued.
I don't know if it is because it is making BG so happy or
if I really am falling in love with the series but
either way, soon I will know all BG talks of when
she begins her Potter conversations.
I think she believes if she can get me to love the Potter series
then GaGa is still something I can love...
Don't know about that BG but I made a promise
and I am on my mission to learn all there is of Potter.
The things we do for our babies, even if they are grown.

4 comments:

  1. Have Jes take a good look at the pic you posted and have her comment on it ...... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read all the books too and fell in luv with the story and was amazed on how the author got started. She is inspiring for how far she came. Britt has the same passion as Jes and went to the premier last night too and said it was awesome. Best one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BFOB you know the babies do not comment and Buffy, yes BG also said that she cried many times through the movie and it was by far the best one, I am almost finished the first one and will watch movie one this weeknend then on to the second... a promise is a promise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The poster you posted is the European version.

    ReplyDelete