Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Kitchen painting

Some may ask and many have, upon visiting my kitchen,
why do I have this huge painting in my kitchen
and where did I get it?
It happens to be one of my very favorite pieces of art
that I own. As I always say, I try and surround
myself not with the typical home decorations seen in magazines
but those things that make me happy, make me feel warm and fuzzy
inside, put a smile on my face.
One day about four years ago, I was out on one of
my garage sale ventures when I came across this hand painted,
I am sure, one-of-a kind original painting.
The price tag on it was 10 dollars.
I went around and around yet kept coming back to the painting.
It had been professionally framed so I knew at least the
frame was worth the 10 bucks.
Every time I came around to look at it, It made me smile.
The little old hunched back lady reminded me of my
Aunt Fredia.
Aunt Fredia was not black.
She was the mother of Randolph's restaurant in
Golden Meadow. Mumsie worked there many years
so every day after school I stopped in to the kitchen
of Randolph's to kiss my Mumsie and grab a
handful of olives only to hear one of the cooks
fussing at me.
Aunt Fredia, on those afternoons was always propped
on a stool very similar to this one, looking out the
side window cutting vegetables for whatever was
going to be on the menu at the restaurant the next day.
I loved seeing her there, it meant all was well that day.
So, I originally bought the painting because of
these memories it brought back.
However, when I put it up in the place that
it now hangs in my kitchen I realized much more
about my find.
The floors of this painting are the exact floors
in my own kitchen.
The wall color, exactly the same.
The other thing that excited me is that every time
I viewed the painting something new came
into my view. The clock, what is co0king on the stove?
What is she preparing that we cannot see behind her back.
It is a conversation piece and if you have ever been to my
home and asked of it, I am sure you have heard
this story already.
The babies tease me about my find.
I sometimes think they wonder which of them
will inherit this when my time here on earth is up.
Hoping it is not them.
Neither is worthy..... el oh el...

3 comments:

  1. I like it.

    I think.

    Not sure.

    Maybe, if there were say some banana pudding in your kitchen that could be consumed while gazing at the picture, I could be made to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This painting actaually reminds me of the old kitchen in your mother's house. The sink, window, and stove are in the same place, I think, and the floor is the same, no?
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost, Lydia!
    Except our floors were red checkered two colors of red with white cabinets trimmed in red. The window was exactly over the sink, a double window, it was.... hmmm never thought of it from that perspective!

    ReplyDelete